Frequent Contributor

No till no fertilizer farming

Just looked at about 500 acres of no till no fertilizer corn and beans. There are blank spots in the fields either where the planter wasn't working good or there wasn't  enough food for the seed to grow. Some of this has only been planted a couple weeks. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Honored Advisor

Re: No till no fertilizer farming

Location?  How deep were they planted?  There is an issue in certain neighborhoods where corn & beans planted in dry soil in that May 20th area that was too dry in that top 1" and you see some beans 3", some cracking the ground and some come up and died.  In those dry areas and later planting, this was the year to err on planting a little on the deep side. 

Frequent Contributor

Not mine. This belongs to a BTO short on capital this year. My be 50-100 thousand acres this way.

Honored Advisor

And we all know low prices do not produce record crops...... for lots of reasons.

Veteran Advisor

Could be operator error.

Senior Contributor

Yes, way too many acres to manage.

Senior Advisor

[ Edited ]

"Not enough food for the seed to grow"

Pretty sure you were joking but that is not possible in the midwest of North America. 

In defense of the BTO, no-till planted wet at the end of May (when we had a forecast

for 1.5" of rain the next day that actually was a zero) just like any other kind of tillage,

won't germinate when it goes hot and dry instead. Lots of conventional till and no-till

examples of that around Indiana this year. More than likely the bugs got it with the

open trenches in spots.

Many of the STO  (small time operators) got the same results in IN, so just might want

to go easy on them on that one.

On the fert issue, if they didn't put on some 28 with the planter that is poor mgmt.

If they just didn't do P/K, most fields don't need any anyway, at least for a few years.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Location jogar
Frequent Contributor

Check out 30-50 thousand acres to go unfarmed and what I see may be the planter was not working right.

Veteran Advisor

The BTO's starter was working "here" on what he actually farmed this year. He also does not no-till in our area. The spring parade of chisel plows, field cultivators and 36 row planters gets old. The BTO is obviously trying to compensate for somethingSmiley Very Happy