Senior Advisor

Re: No till no fertilizer farming

It could have been many things working together - around here -  wet soils - cold soil temps , Laying in chemicals that had been applied - then the biggie - seedling blight . they all took there toll .

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

He  did both till and no till here. Some fields are worked up and some are not. Some places it's hard to see the new plants in the old corn stalks from last year. There is more no till than worked up land. May be 75%.

Honored Advisor

Well now, I`m just saying, nobody go "Kathy Griffin" on me, but around here unless you`re farming a gravel pit, we call no-till farmers, "former farmers".     Oh I know the devout no-tillers will say that "the ground is more mellow than tilled soil" and maybe so, over the long term.  However this wasn`t the year to just "set it and forget it" you needed to probably increase down pressure and get on your hands and knees to see what was going on.

Senior Advisor

[ Edited ]

Thats ok BA, around here, we call the farmers who Till it till it is dead...."former land owners"....all their land is in the reservoir. A few guys had to take snow blades and scrap the roads off this year...not a long-term viable system. 

Honored Advisor

Time, I`d rather argue with a woman than a no-tiller   Smiley Very Happy   gulp!...however around here the BTOs all work their ground up like a garden and I`ve had 2 of them tell me that "spring worked soybeans yield way better" and fall tillage, Earthmasters and such is dominate, unworked cornstalks into December will have your yard full of farmers wondering if you`re sick and if they can rent your farms   Smiley Happy 

Myself, I usually run over corn stalks with a disc in the fall and dig it once for beans and just dig it once if it`s bean stubble going to corn.   If it`s corn on corn the stalks get moldboard plowed in the fall, no ifs and or buts.   But that`s our heavy, wet ground around here.  There are no-tillers, but they farm sandy ground.

The BTOs buying land and renting 2, 3,000 more acres at a crack, work the crap out of it and then roll it before planting for good measure and it`s sure taking them a long time to go broke   Smiley Happy

Senior Advisor

Well here in Shelby County Time - we call it recreational tillage : )

Honored Advisor

This is the most entertaining park bench I been on for a while.  Smiley Happy

Honored Advisor

Ken, because of all our recreation you...

image.pnghttp___m.memegen.com_00shug.jpg

Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Advisor

More likely to see that rig in the banker's parking lot.

Advisor

we dont need to go to the psyc dr. we already know we're nutsSmiley Very Happy