cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: Nobody really thought China was going to buy $50 billion of Agricultural goods.

But he’ll be there every day for at least a year. And may inherit the broom job.  Even if he comes off as Fred Fudd,  this will be a career builder among whatever is left of crooked politicians (which will always be with us as well as voters who will vote for pay, alive or dead. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: Nobody really thought China was going to buy $50 billion of Agricultural goods.

Rick-

I believe our POTUS' daily lie count has aproximately doubled each year to the extent that it is now causing fact check organizations to work overtime.

So of course only a fool (or an ideologue, same thing) would believe him on any matter.

Friday data flow continues to indicate growth below 1%. A small initial trade deal would be nice for agriculture but isn't going to lift the uncertainty for business investment.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

BA and SW you may want to read this.

https://www.agriculture.com/markets/newswire/press-release-focus-deere-workers-grapple-with-fallout-...

Trumps trade war is working great. Only for a bunch of fools that buy that.

He had no plan going in and now no idea how to get out.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I know and it will get worse as long as the power struggle is carried on by the politicians that hate their country and the voters who defied them.  They do not want to allow elections that they don't win.  This may end up badly .  Because I think this country has lost respect for itself and especially the legal processes decided by our continental congress.  Meaning trump or whoever questioned the free-for-all theft of taxpayer $$ ---- Trump at this point was 30 years too late.  He must be reelected because the other candidates have sworn against our constitution and bill of rights as it is written.  If he looses any charade of respect for our laws is totally gone.  Tax revolt will probably follow.  If he wins the rich totalitarians will can go back to collegiate disrespect and their trust funds, but the country has rebuilding to do ethically.  Not sure a spoiled society can gather it's own eggs or even mow its own grass.

You can blame Trump,,,,,,, but I am blaming congress for taking china's side in this and promising them back to normal soon.  Lots of west coast money is riding on Congress in that battle.  The stakes are much greater than the price of beans.  Meanwhile I am going to plan my potential new future.  I think we all should.  Either way this goes, agriculture is and was nothing more than a tool.  

I hope the rule of law wins.   And I am willing to change jobs to see respect for the voters come back............ These tv sideshows are done by folks who took an oath they never intended to respect.  The broadcasting companies are dieing to the new world as well.  Fighting for the 15% of the public that watches that junk these days.  Dems and their boughten press Will abuse anybody or anything for vengeance.  If the voters elected Lassie I would respect him....... I respected a President that flew with Epstein for a few years.  No that is not right....... I respected the voters who elected him...   That defines the problem.... a large minority of voters in this country are promising not to do that and are disrespecting the other voters and the election process if they don't win.  We have lost the respect we once had.

Liking it or not liking it, is irrelevant.  We have lowered ourselves from world leadership because this is not worth fighting for..  Those who felt that way in the 60's were in a privileged minority-- and still are, but as spoiled adults they have moved into positions of power.  And still demonize their enemies in the same ways.

Maybe I can get the new Ambassador job to California.  Thats a joke because California is to broke to survive on their own.

Honored Advisor

Popspoppe, the farm economy is suffering a hangover from the $7 corn and $13 beans that happened because of a well timed drought and $4 gasoline and $150 oil. There were commodity funds that saw a president taking the $10 trillion debt on the way to $20 trillion and the were always long commodities "peak oil!" "peak oil!"  "buy buy buy!"   hey I bought into that, that we`d have runaway inflation and $5,000 gold.   But the fed figured how to have 0% interest rates, QE spending AND some how that money not hitting mainstreet.   The created money went to the stock market, but not to the factoryworker`s wages.

So with 20/20 hindsight, I set up what did happen.  Without farmers on the sugar rush of $7 corn and now 3 years now into loan restructuring for living expenses....it`s hard to sell green paint with a $200,000...$700,000 price tag on it.  Good used machinery sells at record levels.  

So the "trade war" I`m not at all in the psychedelic world that US soybeans would be $13 while Brazil sits on a pile of their beans with a $9.50USD price tag...that`s Democrat troll talk.  China`s gonna buy where the best deal is regardless how many plastic lawn jockeys we buy from them.  

Without the "trade war" beans would struggle to be a buck higher, remember USDA says the US bean yield is 48 bushel/acre.  We have a over supply problem, endusers want our grain because of the strong basis.  But to talk to a Democrat factoryworker that laments his company isn`t selling $500,000 green paint because of the "trade war", is kind of ridiculous given the half dozen other causes.

Honored Advisor

Good comments 

As well as multiple reasons. you point out..... and the human need to blame "all my problems" on one magic bean,  And in reality there are underlying agriculture problems we don't discuss.  Just one being Politics and Congressional spending and it's need to keep big political fund contributors living on "Lobbyist" street, DC.

Result being congress allows and encourages extreme monopoly practices to limit competition in all areas of the economy.  For agriculture it means simple stuff.  In the most flexible income segment of the economy,, expenses are rendered inflexible.  Seed, steel, technology, equipment, labor, Land, Insurance, etc all now have no flexibility because congress intervenes to guarantee those industries who fund politics, protection by ignoring their monopoly status. And then insure it by passing regulations that limit their competition.  And in some cases like health care, picking the survivors and driving out their competition.  It also happens in trade negotiations, research and development grants, infrastructure development. etc etc. 

No amount of publicity "Public relations" spending by ag organizations can improve agricultures political position in DC.  They simply need larger donors and they are found in international trade and the larger "world" economy.

Any other loyalties to agriculture do not exist.  We are too far from our rural ancestors now.  We have nothing to entice the young out of starbucks if congress continues to borrow us out of economic problems.  The traditional way we regained young was when bread lines form.  Congress will even pick up their cell phone bills if we whine long enough.

So I see a loose/loose choice (never done before.)........ for agriculture.  We ignore usda and limit commodity supplies ourselves, stoop expecting them to, and face the wrath of DC.  Or we turn production over to those who can afford to buy respect in DC and they will limit production to a profitable supply.

Usda has been guiding the depopulation of production agriculture for over 5 decades.

0 Kudos