cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: Not Looking Good

My first comment on this thread is explained by MT.  The next 4-6 weeks are critical, if not things have to be perfect or we got another mess.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

That may be why I took the 14_  yield ?

May also be why I am still unpriced on any new crop and quite a % of last years Harvest

Be Aware of my long term motto....

PLANT IT

GROW IT

SELL IT

I do it in that order.... really against the grain of most experts these days. (pun intended)

As a disclaimer, I am an throw back to my upbringing in the Sandhills of Neb.

I am starting my 40th crop this year. I bought my first farm in the fall of 1972.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: My motto too

Had an interest in planting a crop about 10 years before you Hobby and my own in '65 and there after.

I will and do sell some before harvest but I am very conservative about that.

I started before there was crop insurance. I have had the experience of working off the farm to help pay for a contract that could not be filled.

i have watched a good price in the spring for 50% of my crop be a poor price for 90% come harvest.

So like you I mostly grow it and then sell it

Has worked so far

And yes I also have a nice % of 2011 soys to sell and even larger % of 2011 corn. Just finished wheat last week.

0% priced on 2012 yet.

May not get the best price but I sleep well and no one would say I do not get enough to eat.

Will consider a small bit of wheat after it greens up.

0 Kudos
Advisor

That's not quite true BA.  I bought a new Deere tractor last fall.  They took 17.5% off sticker price and gave me almost retail for my trade-in.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Good info MT.  Here in NW Ohio it was just drying out enough to maybe do something but the rains are back afer a fairly dry winter.   What wheat there is is greening up and not looking too healthy.  Also seeing bean stubble fields greening up with weeds, about 2 or 3 weeks earlier than normal.

We have to stay off our clay ground here when it's wet or ruin it for a year.  I didn't get any manure hauled or fertilizer spread because of this.  It just never froze deep enough.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Really nwobcw?  I`m not doubting you, but was it a farm size tractor like 7260 and it wasn`t retail?  Was it a multiple unit discount?

0 Kudos
Advisor

BA It was a 140HP FWA and no it wasn't a multiple tractor purchase and for the balance I got 0% for 4 years.

0 Kudos