cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Nova Programs

I watched a couple of excellent programs on Nova tonight. First one was "Why Airplanes Vanish" - a look at MH370 , what we know, what we think we know, and what we don't know.

The second, "Surviving Ebola", was also excellent. Our local PBS is rebroadcasting them again at 2 and 3 AM respectfully, and you may be able to find somewhere to stream them online.

Both shows, like I said, were excellent. If you see the conditions in Africa that the aide people are working in, and with, its surprising that the death rate there isn't much more.

I'm going to bed - you need to watch these two and draw your own conclusions. They are worth your time, rather than reading the propaganda on here from some individuals.

Jen
2 Replies
too close for comfort
Senior Contributor

Re: Nova Programs

Jenn: After watching the ebola program I am much better informed. Just seeing the congestion of people there, combined with the living conditions and the heat and humidity, I can't believe this is the only disease running rampant there. It seems the cure may be close but sadly the drug companies have little incentive to move ahead on the research and development of a drug when there is probably little chance of recouping their investment let alone make a profit. After seeing the cost for the new hepititis c treatment I have to wonder what the cost would be for ebola.

Jerry

0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Re: Nova Programs

If the drug companies thought that they could be making a killing on Ebola, they would be on it.  The thing is, someone gets it, they sell 5 bottles, and it's over.  No one is going to invest the kind of money it takes to develop a drug when they know they are going to lose money on doing it - not when there are far more lucrative things to spend the money on.  That in itself tells us something - that they don't consider Ebola enough of a threat in the last 40 years to try and find a way to kill it.  I don't think anything has changed, other than those wanting to cause hysteria right now.

Jen

0 Kudos