cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Oats train wreck

Sent to me by Gerry Gidel.

The RR situation is so fouled up in Canada that the oat milling industry is facing shortages and may have to shut down capacity because the product can't get through. So much for a flood of grain from the north.

My condolences to my Canadian friends. It appears there is no oversight in position to mitigate this logistical nightmare. Best wishes for next year. And Canada is so dependent on the RRs. Compounds the problems. Meanwhile the US rails are pounding along the iron. I've seen 7 engines on half unit trains in the mountainous regions in the western US and running every 12-20 minutes on the main lines with full length trains. I'm thinking the Oracle of Omaha is making a ton of money.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Oats train wreck

Just curious, what's the cargo of those full length trains? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

$6.00 - $7.00 on the horizon - this chart is catching thin air as beans did in 1973?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

The ones I see in the PNW are usually containers from the coast and grain from the Midwest. And everything in between.

All down the West Coast and SW it is unit train after unit train of containers going both ways on double track, high speed and tight schedules. They have repair trains with cars stacked with concrete sleepers and miles of welded rail and heavy machinery strategically located to quickly repair the trains that 'bite the dust'. Strictly high ball operations. The most unusual line goes over the Tahachapees south of Bakersfield. Must be some YouTubes of that operation. Up to 9 mountain engines to get them over and onto the desert to make the runs, half string at a time to keep from pulling them apart.

Here's a full string going over w/ a minimum of engines but cool amateur drone photography of the Tehachapi loop, where the train passes over it's own tail to gain altitude. This hill is IN a canyon on the way up. It is hard to see the steep grade through a camera as they flatten the perspective. I think they climb about 2500' from the floor of the valley by Bakersfield but the tehachapi are steep!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLb_99f_JSE

Another cool one of a half string carrying Ahbrams tanks on flat cars letting them down the west side with 6 engines. Guaranteed those engines are pulling uphill to brake letting them down. It's at the loop but can't show the loop, which can be seen from the highway on the side of the canyon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE9vDfpxkZM

Highlighted
Advisor

Thats
awesome can you imagine the pull on that first car
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Amazing, the engines doing the pushing would have to maintain the correct about of pressure to keep her on the tracks?  Rails around here are mostly bike trails.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

It would be interesting to know how many tons just the tie down chains weight on that tank train.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

i watched the battle at midway from WW 2 after cool snake train.....what an intense interface...

0 Kudos