cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Oats

Looks like oats may trade higher than corn after all. Kinda whacky if you ask me.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Oats

Apparently oats does not know anymore.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Very thin trading volume. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

i think it was in 1988 oats traded higher than corn. Oat vol is a joke

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

There you've got it, low volatility. What's not to like. Low cost crop to grow and planting time similar to corn. Why not experiment on a few acres?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Oats in the corn belt are known as "a poor man's crop"

Plant them and you will stay poor....kind of like planting dryland corn in NW Ks during a drought period.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

So your saying you lost money in Kansas last year?

If I had a market, I'd plant anything that pencils out to show a profit. Label me a poor man, I'm thick skinned I don't care. Tuxedo's can go belly up just as bib overalls can.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

FWIW, looks like oats will gain another 8 to 10 cents on corn again today. I just might check my local coop to see if they still accept oats. They used to buy X amount of bushels just to run thru their feed mill, I'm not sure if they still do. If so, maybe I'll plant some solid oats on 50% of my planned cover crop acres.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Why the strong oats price?  Could it be they are being used in cover crops, creating a growing demand?  Still lots of folks horsen' around?  I do remember in the 60's my father planting a few acres.  I just do not see any today around here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

demand must be rising - it's being used in more commercial skin products than ever + being animal feed + human food + some etoh brewing....when you have a product or crop that is so thinly produced anyway??? a little bit of extra demand will have a bigger effect.

i wouldn't trade them, but if i farmed, i might figure out how to raise some!

ScreenShot090.gif

0 Kudos