cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Oh Phooey, how`d that happen?

https://twitter.com/GoodwineCoop/status/1309265821584236545   

Left pan was a pit sample....right pan was though the probe. How do you handle?   

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Oh Phooey, how`d that happen?

maybe tighten up the rotor clearance, and speed up the rotor to thresh more out?

Or wait a week?

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Drive back and forth the length of the truck while loading, and load the truck more slowly -- more of the pods will slide to the outside edges, though they will be obvious while unloading as a pile of pods will come out at the end.  Set combine sieve so beans barely get thru, though will be running a lot more thru return.  Set rotor or concave closer and/or speed it up.  Dad would have just said I was driving too fast, pushing too much thru the combine too fast, and sometimes that also works.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Those beans weren't ready to be harvested . Way too many green lima beans in that sample. It's still Sept for gawds sakes, take a chill pill. 

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Sorry guys, that wasn`t my beans, it`s off twitter, a Illinois elevator was having grief that the probe was picking up a accurate amount of the pods in the load.  I suppose the tube pushes the lighter pods away as it goes into the load.

https://twitter.com/GoodwineCoop  

I had a guy finish the beans for me one year and he had a 9500 with a 25 foot head and drove s o o   s l o w, didn`t stay full.  I pulled loads to town and had to unload in a building , the pile was nice until I unloaded then it was a poddy mess Smiley Happy   They never docked me, but it was embarrassing. 

The corn kernels have surprisingly good depth this year

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Here is the rub on some of the local elevators.....long ago I did not have any farm storage or semis and all of my grain went to local coops in small gravity wagons.  To be fair and honest, one elevator treated me pretty good, but the other had what I would charitably call a "company man" and his samples of a load would usually look like the ones you showed with all the pods, and I would get docked. These were hand samples and what do you do except "vote with your feet" and go elsewhere.

Now that I deliver to the processors in semi loads, I don't even think about dockage.  It just doesn't happen on pit sampled semi loads. Of course combine technology has come a long ways, too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

In sw it is a constant problem if the combine operator is not experienced or is experienced an don't want to wait knowing wind and shatter is just hours away—-stress climate.  Common here— we took corn moisture from 21 to 14 in two days this week. 💯 heat(dry) for 2 days.

Beans can test 9 moisture and have green pods in areas.  Almost impossible to shell out.  Edges and low spots get mixed in and hidden.  Green pods are nature’s velcro — last thing to leave the truck And always get pushed to the outer edge of a pile (truck or bin) probes just don’t go there and can’t pull them off the structure— their 80% moisture in a dry load of beans and cling to the edges hide to burn later.  Difference is Iowa is facing the stresses that create the problem. I’ve seen green pods and pods popping open on the same plant.  We do camera inspections of truck and fields when possible. If you watch them flow out of the truck overhead you can shut off flow and leave 80% of pods in the last  40 bushel of grain—or you can rotary screen the whole load— or as said before wait a few days.  I’ll try to send a couple of pics of my work in March trying to clean out a bin (135k) with both augers blocked. 260992AC-0400-4126-A51E-D862A24022F6.jpeg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

2019 Fall beans--3 loads at 9 moisture were brought in one morning... harvested too early with 9%bean moisture and damp green pods--beans below and above nice and dry but with hulls2019 Fall beans--3 loads at 9 moisture were brought in one morning... harvested too early with 9%bean moisture and damp green pods--beans below and above nice and dry but with hulls2019 march 2020 final cleanup  Fans got ignored because beans were dry.  If heat cables were checked it could have been prevented2019 march 2020 final cleanup Fans got ignored because beans were dry. If heat cables were checked it could have been preventedThe gorilla had to be chipped apart with a chisel and hammer blocking the openings to both augersThe gorilla had to be chipped apart with a chisel and hammer blocking the openings to both augers2018.... 2017 bean hulls that hung on to the walls sluffed off and blocked augers giving us 75k milo to vacuum out2018.... 2017 bean hulls that hung on to the walls sluffed off and blocked augers giving us 75k milo to vacuum out

We were very lucky we didn't burn this years bin down.  Keep this in mind...........

Every combine running today has wonderful new technology and greater capability.  As combines have upgraded operators have declined into simple observers who don't think or observe.  There is ample time to observe the tank, Field conditions, and adjust performance....... How many of our operators can handle a combine as well as their cell phones?  Does anybody fine tune the settings past whatever the elevator will accept?  And do any of our elevator still have scalpers (screens ) in the process?

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

This was where I was in Covid early days and this is how our 2020 began.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Some guys really jump the gun, they have no excuse not knowing better, they get "caught" with 17% beans, the manager says "okay.....we`ll take this load, but don`t bring any more!".   Beans pick up moisture sitting in a truck and if you`re 15ish 16ish and pass it off on the elevator, it`s in all the coop member`s interest to pull the plug on them.