Veteran Advisor

Oh sugar !!!

This is going to cramp many peoples style

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/p168i.gif?1538534385

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Oh sugar !!!

Son of a Buick!    It`s gonna be a bearcat getting them beans out.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Yes, has been wet and a very wet forecast.  I'm wondering if the very warm temps today will sprout some corn on the cob?  Grain quality maybe become an issue here.  It is in the East where very wet conditions in Sept took place.  Looks like more loading trucks on the road.  Harvest maybe 1/4 done here.  Lots of beans yet.  The early harvested fields are "voluntarily" turning green!Smiley Surprised 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Next week rain and after that maybe 10 days a small window, then rain into November and snow....what the hell is going on with this damned weather?????   Stalk quality not good, but these beans, that`s a worry I know how it goes if that small window is missed then it`s drizzle and fog and get on the wrong side of Halloween and then the weatherman talks "snow" and then you`re screwed.   

This is why I never complain too much about combining 10% beans and having them bounce of the windshield …..at least you`re getting them.  I`ve heard the Heftys and others say "If your beans are too dry, you might consider waiting for a rain to add moisture" to me that is insane, but some like the Heftys live in a arid climate...northern Iowa is the new rain forest!

It was fighting to get this crop planted, then fight to spray it and now fight to get it out and sell it below the cost of production.  But it`s the greatest job in the world...well maybe being a photographer for Playboy magazine would be a little better   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

There is some good news against the backdrop of a wet forecast for about half of the next ten days...

From a major agricultural research group, released on October 2 :

"The national corn harvest exactly matched trade estimates as of Sunday night at 26% complete, up from 16-17% both last year and on average; that’s two weeks ahead of last year’s pace and the fastest pace since 2012"

Corn farmers will have a 10 to 14 day buffer to get their crop in from the field, mainly because the corn matured faster than average this year so the harvest began earlier and is about two weeks ahead of original schedule. There will be long days ahead according to some sources I speak with, but the advent of some rain is not expected to cause too much of a problem.

Others positive factors noted are the size of the crop this year will provide some comfort if there are losses due to rain, and also that the forecasts suggest that even if the predicted rain comes, it will be more of the lighter shower and thunderstorm variety rather than the constant all-day and all-night types of downfall. The feeling from more than a few producers is that they will be able to work most days, even if just for a portion of the day.

0 Kudos