cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardnox604008
Advisor

On being a tiger

I note a few handles that incorporate "tiger."

In the case of Mizzou Tiger I assume that is for the U- I like your team, hope they have a good run in the tourney.

But anyway, it just reminded me that back in my early days there were plenty of "young tigers" chronicled in all the farm mags.

Most of them ended up as "sail cats" (a sail cat is a kitty that got run over on the road and finally got squashed so flat that you can use it like a frisbee).

Best to all, time will tell for all of us.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Re: On being a tiger

Nice to have some recognition.......I think.

Mine came from being a fan of the Detroit Tigers and being part of their fan forum.

BTW, I have been run over many, many times.

0 Kudos
hardnox604008
Advisor

I'm kind of excited about the addition of Prince- don't really think he'll be a bust.

At least you have to respect Mike Illitch's willingness to spend his own money to try to deliver a good team.

PS: every time I see Prince I'm reminded of the bit in Moneyball about how, while the A's had rejected the notion of evaluating talent by physical type "Prince was too fat even for the A's."

I gather he's gone vegan, though.

0 Kudos
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Well, I guess you gotta respect the numbers!

0 Kudos
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

So are you sayin I should call chicago today
0 Kudos
hardnox604008
Advisor

No, not meaning much of anything, particularly of short term nature.

Really on just how the word "tiger" kind of causes some chills for some of us older guys.

0 Kudos
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

Or should I call John Macintosh.......I will refer you to my post last August about a crap crop and running out of corn this summer........many moons before any expert had a say in things.......many probably think I am full of piss and vinegar........but sometimes the truth stinks and if you have been a retractor since August 2010 it probably stings too....
0 Kudos
hardnox604008
Advisor

Yeah, probably the worst selling I've done in quite a while was selling the remainder of my crop too quick in the rebound in 2010 although it worked out fine. And if you recall I was absolutely against panic selling at or near the lows in that summer even though some very well known advisors were doing that after missing the sale in the spring.

But I remain convinced that the rally out of there had more to do with the QE2 reflation rally than it did with fundamentals.

So be careful-although the smart money says that de gummints has to keep reflating, the oil market says it can't. Don't know what gives, or when.

0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Some of us "not tigers anymore" remember our own days as super bulls and we surely paid the price for that lesson.

To quote the late Byron Hayes of yesteryear, " what does it matter if you go broke a few times if you end up rich?"

I had to reach back a few decades for that one. He ran a livestock auction in Humboldt Iowa and later on I think he was in Missouri.

Perhaps that is one of the best lessons learned by being severely bent (not broke ,bent). It might not neuter the bull but is does make him less bullish. So if you don't want your voice to change to soprano cool those bullish jets a little.

Palouser
Senior Advisor

And oddly there is probably nothing else that has had a bigger demand increase than commodities. Not spec interest but raw demand.

0 Kudos