cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Only four more days to the Dec. 15 deadline and some positive talk but....

Only four more days to the Dec. 15 trade deal deadline and some positive talk but former trade negotiators warn that it's always the last mile that's the hardest and don't be too surprised if it all falls apart again.

It's pretty clear that both sides positions have hardened and it will require some real effort to get to yes.

If we don't get a yes or trump doesn't hold off the tariffs then it's really possible that nothing will happen until after the election.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Only four more days to the Dec. 15 deadline and some positive talk but....

Just my 2¢ but President Trump should implement the additional tariffs for 2 simple reasons.  China makes all kinds of promises just to stave off tariffs then it`s "Me Chinese Me play joke Me go pee pee in your Coke!" .  Also China is out of ammo, they can`t match us teat for tat on pork & beans that they AREN`T buying.  If you just been swimming in the ocean for 4 hours, cup of water dumped on your head won`t get you any wetter. 

The trade knows China will only buy what it has to and as cheap as possible, their "new buddies" the Brazilians aren`t capable of running $400 billion trade deficits with them.  So dissing us the US out of spite makes no economic sense, but they hope to run the clock out and perhaps a communist sympathizer is elected next November...hey it`s a 50/50 chance of the commie at least winning the US popular vote. 

wrightcattle
Veteran Advisor

China is a huge development

@rickgthf wrote:

Only four more days to the Dec. 15 trade deal deadline and some positive talk but former trade negotiators warn that it's always the last mile that's the hardest and don't be too surprised if it all falls apart again.

It's pretty clear that both sides positions have hardened and it will require some real effort to get to yes.

If we don't get a yes or trump doesn't hold off the tariffs then it's really possible that nothing will happen until after the election.

China is a large area development enterpriser in many businesses Globally.

Trump sees that as a competitive threat to his private businesses. 

Sooo, he's Never going to make any deal W China that will in any way work for China.

Get used to it.  Trump hates the Chinese... It's that Simple too.   

0 Kudos
perspec
Veteran Contributor

Am I looking at the pork exports right?  45,000MT sold for export last week. Is that 90,000,000 pounds or roughly 450,000 hog(15% of our production?)  And China still dragging their feet(bought 1,600MT).  They did take shipments of 13,900MT.  They're going to miss the boat on the cheap pork.

freedom1493
Veteran Advisor

@perspec wrote:

Am I looking at the pork exports right?  45,000MT sold for export last week. Is that 90,000,000 pounds or roughly 450,000 hog(15% of our production?)  And China still dragging their feet(bought 1,600MT).  They did take shipments of 13,900MT.  They're going to miss the boat on the cheap pork.

Yup.

"Meat Prices Spike Across the Globe"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEd2Rt2Sv1o

"China says pork prices surged 110% in November"

https://www.myjoyonline.com/business/2019/December-10th/china-says-pork-prices-surged-110-in-novembe...

0 Kudos