cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Optimum Corn Planting Dates

Midwest weather is expected to force some starts and stops in planting activity in April. The month of May might throw a few curveballs to planting efforts. Here's the annual chart used to remind everyone of the Optimum Planting Dates.

Corn Planting DatesCorn Planting Dates

What say you? Will it all get planted on time? The market participants are watching.

Mike

5 Replies
tree fmr
Advisor

Re: Optimum Corn Planting Dates

Me says it’s still too cold in Iowa to plant corn. But am seeing planters rolling in bean stubble. 
Have started planting beans, hope the frost is over!

0 Kudos
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

Spoiler
Was it 2019? We learned that June planting can still produce record crops. My goodness there is still a week left in April. Lots of time to plant 
0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

There is so much that is very important that is not in your graph. Like what?

Well, optimum planting date for a field that has no improved drainage is not May 1st it is May 15th or 20th. Only about 35% of the midwest is pattern tiled at this point. So, your data off of a flat black pattern tiled research plot is pretty silly.

Same data for soil texture, with over 30 years of actual data on real fields in the real world, over 30% of our acreage should NEVER be planted before May 1oth. Rolling tight clay forest soils, even with tile every 100', just do not warm up and dry out. Seed lays in saturated clay and stand counts collapse every time you plant it early cause it is dry in April. 

We have 15% in the ground April 20th, way ahead of normal. Likely 20% in Monday/Tuesday. So the highest yielding 35% of the farm is planted absolutely perfect. Middle 35% really drives whole farm averages so we have until May 10th to get it in to remain optimal. 

Just saying, everyone that studies the real data, knows that chart is a bit of an oversimplification. Plus my friends out in IA/MN are planting like crazy as we speak. Big country, someone is almost always planting, regardless of weather systems.

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Mother  Nature  may  humble  the  chart  this  July ,  being  impartial  to  a  graph  -  -  -   

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

mike --- and Time.     What a tag team......

Chart is straight from the "Andy Cuomo school of agriculture"--- and usda project on ag. simplification.

Time gave a good lecture that I probably slept through once before.

We covered the bases perfectly.  And remember the only way a large % of the US corn acres gets planted in two days is when you slept late and missed class.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos