cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

Organic corn being imported from China

I had a long and interesting talk with an organic feed supplier in California today. We talked about all kinds of things, but the most striking bit of information was that they import all of their field peas from Canada at $520/ton and they use 600 to 700 ton of organic feed corn each week imported from China! There are not enough growers! They are paying a delivered price of $490/ton for corn and $470/ton for wheat. He was very interested in you Midwestern guys shipping USA corn via rail. Just an FYI that there is opportunity out there.
0 Kudos
32 Replies
rayjenkins
Veteran Advisor

Re: Organic corn being imported from China

James...

is that metric or short ton??

Who does the certification??

containers or bulk??

Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

Short ton.
There are many certifiers to choose from even in China. I don't know the answer to that question. In the USA there are many approved certifiers all of whom must follow USDA organic rules.
Not sure how it is being shipped.

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Jameshh1964, are we talking true organic corn or conventional (non GMO) corn raised using herbicides? Their are enough people in China to hand weed their cornfields. You couldnt pay most US farmers enough to do the amount of tillage needed for organic production. BUT, at $9 or $10 a bushel you might get some interest lol! 

0 Kudos
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

Blacksand,
This is truly certified organic. It's not as hard as you think really. There are thousands of acres of organic corn being raised in Oregon and Washington. Silage and sweet corn on the west side and flint, dent and popcorn on the east side of the Cascades. No one hand weeds corn; it's all about depleting the weed seed bank before planting. I'll try to send some photos, though it takes some effort because they have to be downsized for this website.
0 Kudos
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

There is 'organic' corn being grown in Ontario.

I do not know the price they recieve but it needs a full plan with alfalfa for a couple years prior to the corn crop and then several passes with a scuffler and then a little patience in combining through the remaining weeds.

I pass by one operation regularly so understand his procedures.

Not sure what the final yield would be but it usually looks short of N so expect some lower than convential.

Not sure what he might get for a tonne but may cross paths with hi one day and will try to find out what the premium might be to cover his additional costs and loss of yield.

Can't imagine someone not supplying the market if it is financially rewarding.

California is a long ways from Ontario but when we visited a strawberry farm near San Diego a number of years ago there was a truck from Quebec loading berries.

0 Kudos
hanktbd
Senior Contributor

Probably relabeled that rejected MIR corn and shipped it back to the states. For almost triple the money. Chinese are pretty sharp business men and often not bothered by US ethics. My observation has been that when US imports food from China, there is a Skunk in the woodpile. Heck, their non organic corn is 9 or 10 bucks a bushel over there before shipping costs.

sw363535
Honored Advisor

hanktbd -------------- good answer

If you had to find a source of anything with an organic label whose meaning is more redefined and worthless tham that in the US, where would you go.

OF course.,,,,,,, CHINA  

0 Kudos
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

SW and Hank,

It sounds like you are comfortable with your current situation.

I will refrain from throwing any more ideas your way.

Thanks.

James

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

James  -I find your posts refreshing and thought provoking - keep up the good work and interesting information - there is a lot more to life than a 100 ft. sprayer ---    

0 Kudos