cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Re: Organic corn being imported from China

I appreciate your comment

And James let me qualify my statement.  My irritation is not toward "Organic", but deals with two things   1.  That regulators change and modify what qualifies as Organic methods and other qualifiers to make it easier to qualify and regulate.  Been happening for years.  And 2.  That we would assume that Chinese exporters and the corn's producers  will actually be living up to those same standards.  That should be questioned with every container.

Organic corn from the midwest could be traced to the field and its owner and review of its production can be done.  Could that be said of the Chinese shipment????  Or on the west coast,  would it even be questioned?         That is the irony of the idea.

Hang in there with us.  But do not expect to go unquestioned on the details.  If you are going to hold US producers to a specific standard you better be willing to show that Chinese producers are being held to the same.  Just because you can buy a label does not mean that the producer meets the same laws and standards from any foreign country..

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

James keep posting, I might be interested in some of those things. 

Keep in mind a number of things, tainted dog food, tainted toothpaste, tainted pottery, tainted children's toys. One thing in common ...China.

Keep another in mind, no test in the world can detect organic conventional corn from conventional non organic corn. Certificates for anything can be purchased or created very cheaply over there.

0 Kudos
hanktbd
Senior Contributor

Actually James, I grow my own veggies and fruit organically and intend to take a crack at commercial scale organic farming in the near future. Just not sure how much sense it makes for a country such as China which struggles to feed their own population to export food halfway round the world to a country with so much surplus food that it makes good sense to burn it for fuel. Seems like there must be something fishy going on and recent experiences with imported Chinese food products reinforce that opinion.
0 Kudos
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

SW,
I'm not the one buying Chinese products. I was simply relaying some of a conversation. I have a job precisely because I want Americans to eat American produced food. My boss heartily concurs. We put the name of the farm, his town and his State on every bag of product we sell for which I have that information. This includes soft white wheat, red wheat, pastry flour, bread flour, rye flour, teff and teff flour, cornmeal, 20 kinds of honey, oats, barley flakes, several kinds of dry beans, hazelnuts, almonds, pecans, numerous dried fruits and 2 kinds of granola made in house.
I don't trust the Chinese as far as I could throw them. The Chinese don't trust Chinese food! I get calls every week from China wanting food products clearly labeled "grown in the USA". I don't sell them anything because we don't have enough for the west coast let alone China.
Oregon was the first state to have an organic certification program under Oregon Tilth certified organic company. For years every state had their own rules. Oregon was the most strict. Then the USDA stepped in a few years ago and standardized the whole system largely with help from Oregon Tilth. You may have your own certifiers, but they must be licensed inspectors and they all must follow the same rules. All organic amendments which are allowed are listed by a company charged with doing so...OMRI, which stands for organic materials review institute (I may have one of those words wrong because everyone just calls them OMRI). Yes, because this is America, people constantly come up with new ideas and new organic products and it may appear the rules are changing. But the rules about roundup or 24-d or neonicatinoids are also changing for conventional growers. It doesn't mean the system is faulty.
My family has farmed in the USA since before it was an independent Nation beginning in 1722 in Virginia. My wonderful little boy will the 10th consecutive generation of American farmers in our clan. I am definitely on your side.
Sorry for the tirade. Hit a sore spot.
Thanks.
James
0 Kudos
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

Thanks everyone for the supportive and clarifying comments. I've got my breath back and my smile back on. Thanks for feeding the world.
James
0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

clarification

Labeling  is the issue of changing definitions and qualifiers.

Production standards are not the issue.  Once you have produced under the guidelines, and the label becomes popular for a group of clients who will pay more for the product, you find extreme competition on the store shelves from less restrictive labeling requirements as the term gets redefined and broadened for use as a label.

0 Kudos
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

SW,
I'd love to have a sit down with you about Organic production, certification and labeling. It is actually quite clear for products labeled Certified Organic. The terms "Organic, natural, wholesome or similar terms are essentially worthless and are not regulated by any 3rd party.
Organic isn't for everyone, but it is now 4% of total food consumed in the USA and was worth about $38 billion last year.
I sure wish there were more USA soybeans that were organic. The tofu makers buy truck after truck from Canada.....
Take care.
0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

It costs, lets say for example, a fairly close  40% more to raise them "organicly" following the usda/fda guidelines, considering yield loss and out of pocket costs.  If the market paid a premiium that covered that cost there would be beans in the US in absolute abundance.

But we all know that is not the issue,  Organic--- as defined is a illusive lie geared to change public behavior through false accusations and demonization of science, engineering, and the advancements in food production they have brought us.

A tomato, corn, wheat or your soybean---- whether it is raised in a Disney hydroponic lab, the canadian prairie, naturally in a wooded area of Missouri or a field in Indiana uder Purdue's testing----- All have the same organic chemestry and all have been raised from a ancestory of living organisms that have been modified many times in their 4-5,000 years of cultivation.

All the World hype culture, and discussion in regulation in terms of "organic" has nothing to do with the tofu or the food consumed.  It is all about the process of seed selection and production methods----- and the power that is given to a few companies that advance science and a profit. 

We have major hurdles in raising the food comfort level around the world to the level of the developed countries.  I trust the scientific community to help solve those issues more than I do a cultural fad.  

farmer46
Senior Contributor

I find it funny almost every organic dairy farmer, cow and goat, has been going out of biz, around me.  If you start with low debt farm, then go low input and organic, you can last a few years on family labor.  Do not invest in anything. Poor corn at 60-80 bu an acre and $9.00 will not make you rich.  But, you can feel good about what you are doing. 

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

"Funny " to see some one go out of business - interesting--- I know a few organic producers that are doing OK including low debt and if they had several avenues of  "FSA rebates " they would probably do a bit better ---  

0 Kudos