cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

Organic grain and bean opportunities

I read alot of posts on this website full of anxiety and tribulation about crop prices. The growers producing organic grain and bean crops for the company I work for (hummingbird wholesale) all have contracts long before planting delineating the price and quality parameters. Consumers are truly longing for a more direct connection to the grower. To that end, we openly share the pricing to both the grower and buyer. There is no speculation. Organic sales in the USA will soon surpass $40 billion. It is no longer a niche. Anyone interested out there?
0 Kudos
41 Replies
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

Re: Organic grain and bean opportunities

FYI. For the barley growers out there, you may want to try a new fall feed barley called Alba. It yielded 6,840 lb of cleaned seed/acre this year in Oregon and was grown organically. Contact me at hummingbird wholesale in Eugene if you have questions etc.
Thanks.
James
0 Kudos
KSKid501
Veteran Contributor

114 bu organic barley?  How do you provide enough nutrient to replace crop removal?  If you can figure out a good way to do that, I'd be interested in putting in a quarter...

0 Kudos
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

Actually that is about 143 bushel barley. I believe there is 48 lbs to a bushel of barley
0 Kudos
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

To answer your question, the previous crop rotations included alfalfa and squash. This is supplemented with dried composted chicken manure which can be bought here for about $40/ton. The price of this feed barley to the grower is $410/ton fob farm.
0 Kudos
WCWISC
Veteran Contributor

Where are you looking for growers?
0 Kudos
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

For this crop in particular, Washington State has existing customers. I can check with Midwest customers if that interests you. Our company conducts business quite differently from most companies. We would establish a long term customer/ grower relationship.
0 Kudos
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

There is about 50 ton of seed available.
0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I didn`t mind farming organically for the most part, the couple things that made me quit was the middleman would pickup the grain in June.  Then in the case of beans it took a month before they got shipped to Japan, so it was way into July before you got paid.  I never got burned, but there`s alot of trust involved and you`d have the expense of 2 crops tied up for quite a while.

Another thing, the outfit that certified me wanted me to covert ALL the acres that I farmed to organic within 5 years to be continued certified organic and that wasn`t going to work.  But other than that, it was alright. 

Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

We pay everything net 30
0 Kudos