cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bkadds
Advisor

Re: Organic grain and bean opportunities

The only things we can grow organically here are pigweed, kochia, bindweed, and tumbleweed. Any market for those? I have seen some organically grown crops here and they battle the above weeds like crazy.
0 Kudos
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

That requirement is illegal baloney by the way.
0 Kudos
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

Where are you?
0 Kudos
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

That certification requirement is illegal by the way. There is now one national standard.
0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Well that`s a big improvement.  Perhaps with the USDA as a certifying agency, they aren`t such sticklers to have you be 100% organic like the "old days".  But, still by the time a guy goes the 3 years to get certified organic without the big premiums, the conventional crop prices will be back.  CRP coming out is ideal organic ground.  Something to also consider is, if I remember right you could only raise beans 2 years out of 5 and beans were your "bread and butter" there really wasn`t a premium for the hay and oats.  I`m not saying it`s bad at all, but people got to know up front that it isn`t a get rich quick scheme.

0 Kudos
WCWISC
Veteran Contributor

0 Kudos
WCWISC
Veteran Contributor

I'd be interested in learning more.
0 Kudos
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

I'll have to follow up tomorrow. I've got to get my little farmer to bed! Ha ha....
0 Kudos
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

Is there a way to post photos to this discussion? I have some very nice crop photos of our organic grain and bean fields.
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

James, select the tree icon at the top of the posting window and that brings you to a photo uploading menu.  Photo's are always encouraged, check the crops forum to see some crop pictures from various contribuors this season.

Funny you posted about barley tonight, I was just thinking about planting a few acres this fall blended with winfred radish for haying purposes next spring ahead of milo.

0 Kudos