cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Organic prices

Does anyone on here sell organic crops?  Just wondering if the prices are going higher on the organic crops as well.  

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Frequent Contributor

Re: Organic prices

As a loan officer with a significant dairy portfolio, I know the prices of organic feedstuffs for the dairies I work with is destructing demand. I know of no farm in my portfolio that can withstand corn above $15,00 a bushel, soybeans, nearly $30.00 a bushel and corn silage above $100 a ton. These farms will be all liquidated within the next 6 months.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

BoHunk. My friend.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Why would they liquidated if they can with stand those prices and still make a profit?
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Organic wheat and barley is going for about $400 per ton in  So. Oregon.  btw, I'm seeing well below average yields, say, down by 30-40%

0 Kudos

Of course these are complex issues but in generral this all plays into our agenda here at Vegans For Ethanol.

0 Kudos
Visitor

Find out from your local farmers how much organic crops cost. Check out http://www.agrilicious.org/ and see what local farmers are growing in your area.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I've got nothing against organic grown crops, but the way I see it the big Ag industry suppliers aren't in favor of it so it will never happen. I believe if someone wants to try and convert his operation to an organic one, he first needs to try it on a small parcel say <5 acres and try selling his produce at a farmers market. I am being told there is money to be made by doing this, but I'm not sure if today's modern farmer is willing to give up just a few very profitable acres to give it a try.
0 Kudos