cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Outlook: Don’t Put Profits At Risk/By: Bob Utterback, Farm Journal Columnist

An article by Utterback, some people like him, but many guys think he doesn't do a good job. Anyway, it is always interesting to read what his opinion is on current marketing issues. His article is below and worth the read:

****************************************************************************************************************************

Outlook: Don’t Put Profits At Risk

By: Bob Utterback, Farm Journal Columnist

It’s time to get the planters out and get ready to roll. As the demands of the production season pull you away from your desk, I encourage you to be just as aggressive with marketing.

As I visited with producers at meetings this winter, I learned more about what’s keeping them up at night:

1. Everyone in farm country is extremely concerned about a repeat of 2012’s weather pattern. They point to low subsurface moisture, dryness in the Western Corn Belt and the belief that lack of timely rains will cause major price advances this summer.

2. Because of 2012’s poor corn yields, many producers have maintained ownership of their corn and soybeans … more corn than soybeans.

3. As a direct result of this past year’s drought and penalty for making early sales, I’m assuming little of the anticipated 2013 corn and soybean production has been priced. I would not be surprised if national corn and soybean sales are below 20%.

4. Many producers seem prepared to produce, store and hold until the spring of 2014 rather than price below their target price.

5. Demand bulls are already suggesting a price break below $5 in December corn and $10 in November soybeans will ignite demand this fall. They, however, are conceding corn exports have little chance of recovering until we have a new crop.

6. I got a very strong sense that corn acres have slipped from expectations, while soybean and cotton acres seem to be growing.

Acreage game. With these observations in mind, I’ve reduced my expectations of corn planted acres to just above 96 million but below 97.5 million. I’ve increased my soybean acreage expectations to 79 million to 80 million acres.

While some say lower acres are bullish to corn, I must point out that higher average yields are expected.

While we started with corn stocks at 602 million bushels, the slow pace in domestic usage and exports will likely push ending stocks to grow more than 100 million in corn and 25 million plus in soybeans.

"Weather" it rains. All of this will be trivial if it doesn’t rain between May and July. I believe 2013 will be a transition year from dry to wet. I don’t expect a crop failure, but I’m not betting on a bumper crop either.

If yields are at, or better than, 154 bu. per acre for corn and 42.75 bu. per acre for soybeans, it will create burdensome carryover this fall. The consequences are strong basis levels, as well as an inverted carrying charge environment. Memories will fade by the fall of 2014 if we experience average production years in 2013 and 2014.

This leads me to my main market plan—anyone wishing to sell their crop on an April or May price bounce should have calls in place above the market just in case a weather event occurs. Plan to use limited cash flow resources to get started—sell the 2014 crop by using a deep-in-the-money put strategy. Use the September 2013 corn contact and November 2013 contract in soybeans and lock up carry incentives as they develop this summer and fall.

There’s still time. For the most part, USDA is on target in regard to the trend pattern for the next two marketing seasons: a large increase in stocks and a subsequent decline in prices. Farmers still have time to lock up solid prices above cost of production. Over time, they will be able to improve entry prices by capturing carry in the spreads. I know farmers want the prices they enjoyed the past two seasons, but these sharply higher prices were caused by an unexpected reduction in supply, not a sudden increase in demand.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Outlook: Don’t Put Profits At Risk/By: Bob Utterback, Farm Journal Columnist

Just for comparison, you should find and paste Big Bob's thoughts, right before harvest, that the highs for the 2012 corn crop were going to come after harvest and that holding a short crop until January 2013 and even into spring would probably be rewarded.

Always sell a short crop...store a big crop.

Farmers should have that tattooed on their arms.

I have no clue what the market is going to do from here on out, but I would not want to be gambling on either side right now.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Advisor

Re: Outlook: Don’t Put Profits At Risk/By: Bob Utterback, Farm Journal Columnist

RSW- there is absolutely no need to constantly copy and paste information from other pro's. Any of us can go to their sites and get it.

Creating useless threads might get your name on the screen more often, but it has no value. jmho

To really obtain value from any information suppler you have to follow them closely and learn their strengths and weaknesses.

Your being critical of Bob really isn't fair. Over the last few decades he has served folks pretty well. We use deep in the money options alot and have been for a long time before he started using them. So, this part of his strategy is pretty good in our veiw. Gulke is great if you just love to trade in and out alot, exciting and the commissions just keep rolling in. (reference to Evita there)  Po-farmer even has some strenghts...can't think of any right now but they must have some.... :-)  Smile Chip/Brian and crew.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I guess we all have our weaknesses. Time: your timing stuff is pretty good , however where you get into trouble is trying to predict highs and lows with the timing.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

tippingpoint- I do not think I post useless information on marketing, not everyone on this website reads all the other websites for information and would miss many of these good marketing articles. It also allows people to give there opinion on these articles and when you get alot more opinions on the articles it is good for everyone. If you don't like the articles I post, don't read them, it's that simple. I could care less about getting my name on these posts, this is not a beauty contest, it is entirely about us getting as much money as possible for our corn and soybeans. The name of the game is to get the highest Return on Investment Ratio that is possible, that is the bottom line. But again, I am not holding a gun to your head to read the articles I post.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Big. Beautiful.  Bob.   When is his swimsuit calendar coming out?    Baby got Utterback!

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Didn't realize it was solely a corn and soybean site.
0 Kudos