cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marketeye
Senior Contributor

Over in Crop Talk

I have started an Agriculture.com 2010 Yield Survey. Check it out. I'll pass along yield reports reported to me. I would hope others can weigh in with your area yields, as the season goes along. Take part in the 2010 Yield Survey at http://bit.ly/d56HWt

Mike

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SideHill3X
Frequent Contributor

Re: Over in Crop Talk

Insurance adjusters in Lancaster County, Pa are listing final grain yields at 25 - 80 bushels per acre for corn fields to be chopped for silage. 5 year county average  is 165.8.  OUCH. Adjusters are saying large amonut of tip back within the field after the first 24 - 30  rows.

0 Kudos
jec22
Veteran Contributor

Thanks for starting the yield reports posts.  It will be really interesting to see how big those numbers get when we get northern IL, northern IA, and MN.  From a 70 mph tour, they look good.

While I think we have seen the lows in corn.  I am  beginning to think that this economy might have put in its lows also.  Not talking about the stock market--it has burned to many and many are leaving the party.  I don't think the stock market is representative of the economy right now.  Truck traffic is heavy.  The Baltic Index is up.  I realize there are a lot of people in trouble with mortgages.  But a much larger percent have been improving their balance sheets from the cash/consumer credit side.  Looks like the mortgage problem just becomes a bank problem which just becomes a federal debt problem.  To me  the big monster out there is the federal debt.  If that wasn't looking us in the face, this economy would already be taking off.

I don't know why we need all these government agencies.  They are so bloated.  Case in point.  The billions reportedly spent on Katrina cleanup that never got to the people working or with flooded homes, the money was eaten up with 'subcontractors' fees first.  I guess that is what is meant by 'trickle down", by the time its gets down to the people that need it, it is just a trickle.  I first noticed a changed in looking for the 'feds' for help with Nashville, TN.  They took extensive flooding and just pulled up there boot straps and went to work.  Didn't make the news a lot.  Maybe someone from there can give more info on how that went.  The locals are so much more efficient.  Encouraging to read how the small towns that got hit with flooding in the last month in IA are receiving so much work from volunteers. Scary to think of what happens to the aid money we send to other countries, unless our troops are handling out the aid directly to the people...I imagine the same trickle down problem.

OK,  so the short story there, what happens to prices if the economy is improving?

0 Kudos
IronBob
Contributor

This would be interesting to follow if a guy could find it. Why not post a link or tell us how to get to crop talk?

0 Kudos
infire
Frequent Contributor

Bob - at the top here where it says agriculture.com community, click on it then scroll down to find crop talk

0 Kudos