cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

PF Tour day 2!

Chip described Nebraska irrigated corn as a "pull up year" meaning you can tell the difference from the circles and the corners.  They of course need a rain to finish it off.  Beans have 70bu potential , but could backward fast, no bugs or disease, average pod count.  Corn pegged at 182.5, above average.

Indiana corn "East is a beast!" corn very consistent, beans not nearly as consistent.  Brian Grete and the scouts give it 193.5.  Bean pod count a little above average.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: PF Tour day 2!

$3 corn

$8 beans

Here we come.

Oh joy

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hobbyfarmer, I don`t think so  🙂  We were supposed to`ve gotten every bushel off every acre as tight as supply is.  Acres aren`t there and now trend yield doesn`t appear to be there.  We oughta be able to squeeze a couple good years before corn prints a 3.  famous last words 

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

IL is the tough one.

There are going to be a lotta 300 bu plot yields.

But also a not insignificant number of fields with some to a lot of holes in them from June rains.

In flatland IN, those years always were both thrilling on the good stuff and a tad disappointing on the final tally.

0 Kudos
wrightcattle
Veteran Advisor

Maybe at some point inputs will cost less..  Maybe Not too.. Just never know 4 sure. 

Corn will not drop much value with higher cost inputs. 

It's not exactly rocket science. 

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Right at ZERO correlation between input costs and bid price for purchase of grain.

0 Kudos
wrightcattle
Veteran Advisor

your wrong on that mrhobby. 

THiNK 

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Ok , almost exactly one year ago cash corn went under $3 into the $2 something range.

Did we have cheap inputs and rent?

Inputs changed very little % wise from '19 to '20 but prices I've received this year are hovering in the $6.50 area currently with a high I received a few months ago of $7.75

Show me the correlation.

It is all about supply and demand or at least the perception of it. Zero about cost of production.

If it was based on cost of production prices would be barely $4 if that.

Grain buyers don't ask for your cost of production before giving a quote of bid price.

Some offer a very few cents more for volume but never based on c.o.p.

0 Kudos
wrightcattle
Veteran Advisor

if it costs more to produce a product than the product is worth,  eventually producers just move on,  produce something else etc.. 

Only reason corn is so big now is government support. 

Market and research is way over board with government corn help. 

That will change too. 

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Long term theory VS:  Short term reality............

No one raises a crop that has no economic profit potential.................... except the hungry.

0 Kudos