cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Palouser?

Palouser,what are the options for the pacific rim as far as obtaining the type,and quality of milling wheat on the rest of the global market?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Palouser?

Australia is the competition though there may be specific blends and qualities for some products that depend on PNW wheat.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Just wandering how long they can avoid the trough.The local elevator here we haul into expressed to me that Portland did not see it as a big a deal as some of the growers fear.It does seem like a fairly quick quarentine should be possible,and that be the end of it!

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Color me ignorant, but why is this such a serious issue?

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Interesting ......

Uh ....., if you were trying to market wheat and buying froze up because you were dependent on exports (90%) and the price (assuming there were actually a buyer) dropped while you were waiting for a thaw  .......  it wouldn't bother you?

Especially due to an escape of a GMO trait that is not legal in the market?

Yup, I was trying to market some wheat the day insiders found out about the GMO issue.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

PS

Specifically, this issue triggered import bans by our customers.

And APHIS has said nothing after weeks of knowing. It was basically kept under wraps for some weeks as far as I can tell. The first announcements of a problem triggered import bans. We live and die here on exports.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Re: Interesting ......

I understand the price dropping and exports coming to a standstill, but who makes it illegal to be on the market, USDA?  The legality of the matter is what I'm trying to grasp, I don't understand why GMO wheat is such a big issue when we intentionally plant millions of acres of GMO row crops.  Are there health issues at stake?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I don't know jack, especially on this matter, but it sounds like the buyers don't want to "risk" running into legal or political issues which could interrupt the supply chain process......................mess with THEIR business with the other country ( and their regulations, etc.) and the problems which COULD arise if they had any of the real or imagined poop on their hands???

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

"I understand the price dropping and exports coming to a standstill, but ..... "

Very funny Shaggy  Smiley Wink

At the moment my concerns aren't whether the markets agree with other's opinions on the matter.

It is illegal to have unapproved GMO events in the market.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Palouser, I'm not trying to be ignorant, I'm just uneducated on all this GMO stuff.  I am a desert HRW wheat and milo producer, GMO is nonexistent in my area.  Sorry if I reopened some old wounds.  Who ultimately needs to approve this product, USDA?  As far as your opinion comment, I'm not voicing my opinion, I'm just trying to familiarize myself with the seriousness of this escape.  I'll shut up now and head back to my comfort zone.

0 Kudos