cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Peak corn. MT might be right!

Hope this comes out good enough for your reading pleasure!  Probably will not on a mobile device, sorry. 

Anyhow it is a newsweek article from 1975 telling of global cooling!  Yes that is correct, according to this peak corn should have already occured!!  I don't understand how the scientist could have no confidence in political leaders doing the right thing, guess we proved them wrong and did what needed done to warm the earth, in just 30 short years!

Just thought this would be fitting based on the cool weather this year.  Enjoy the read.

climate change.jpg

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Contributor

Re: Peak corn. MT might be right!

I did an article for the Engineering magazine while I was in college it.  I think the first book I ever bought myself besides textbooks was something like "The Coming Ice Age."  But remember you can't argue with science...it is always right.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Computers have given us all new ways to play with theories.  And it really sells in a public that favors fiction over fact.  Fiction is just easier--- you don't have to remember it accurately.

unrelated

Technology has changed the world.  I was visited this week by a friend who is an international trial lawyer.  His firm moved into a new building recently and discarded their Law library ---------- It wasn't being used, because it is all accessable by computer.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I can't agree with the article. Since the time the article was written we have had year after year of warmer GLOBAL temperatures. Our cooling in the Midwest this year has been the result of the jet stream being active along and south of the Canadian border. If IOU look at all the fires out west, and look at temps there, I'm sure that most of those people don't think an ice age is immanent. The jet streams movements are predicated by many different mechanisms, one of the largest of these being the ocean currents. There is some talk among scientists about the Gulf Stream current in particular, and how that is being changed by the amount of fresh water being dumped into it by the melting of glaciers in the Arctic. There are many, many questions yet to be answered on what climate change is ultimately going to do to our planet. I am in the climate change camp. I do believe that we are doing a grand experiment with the atmosphere of our planet, which is a very, very thin layer of life itself. When you consider anything above 10,000 feet, or roughly 2 miles generally requires the use of supplemental oxygen, you begin to see how tiny our atmosphere shield is. And yes, our total atmosphere goes much higher. But our livable zone is not so much. More later.

Jen
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I do agree with one part of the article. That government leaders won't do anything regarding climate change until forced to. We see that in work now. And, to their credit, since we don't have all the answers, they might do something that actually would make things worse.

Jen
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Time  has a way of making our limited "power" grasping theories look foolish.

The things that pass for Scientific study????

The human mind, in a senario of 100+variables, seems to want to formulate a theory when we have reached an understanding of 3 or 4 of those variables.

In our inspection of Iceland's corn crop,  Smiley Happy   we visited some very interesting historical presentations.  Since Iceland has been inhabited since the 800's, they have pretty good records of their glacier changes over time.  The trip reminded me of how small our focus can be.

0 Kudos