cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Percentage of New Crop both Corn and Beans Sold or Hedged for 2013?

Hey Guys, thanks again for your replies. Sounds like many of us are all in the same boat here with either 0% of new crop sold/hedged or just 10%. I am thinking 2013 Marketing isn't going to be as much fun as 2012 marketing was. 2012 was the first time I ever sold corn for over $8 bucks. If somehow, someway, cash new crop corn could get back to at least $6, I would be one very happy camper. Given my total of $550/acre in combined both variable, fixed/land costs, and Custom Farming Fees, a normal yield, would be a rough $700/acre in profits. I can live pretty good on a $700/acre profit. I will buy everyone a beer if we see $6 buck corn for cash in new crop/DEC-2013/Fall Delivery. Yes, always fun to dream. Even my wife has been asking what price we will end up getting for our 2013 crop. And when the wife is worried about new crop corn prices, it is time for all of us to worry. .

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Sold one load of corn and no beans for '13 and don't see any likelihood of any sales for the foreseeable future.

Of course, we'll all change our tune this fall when the huge bushels roll in and the cattle yards are empty.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

17% of normal corn crop at 6.07 cash at co-op. 22% of beans at 13.02. Was giving away about 50 cent basis to chicago when I sold it, but looks like I should have sold more. Thinking it may be a year from now before the next good selling opportunity.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Say Hank, very, very, good prices, $6.07 and $13.02!!!! Boy, I am impressed. **bleep**, I wish I would have sold a 100% of my production back at those prices. You must of sold during the SEPT/2012 Time period, correct?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Some Sept and some Nov and yea wish now I had sold more, but I try to spread the sales over a 24 month marketing window, so never sell too much at once. Also, my lack of on farm storage forces me to contract at least some crop before harvest.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Just curious if anyone is adding to or starting to sell new crop on this little rally we had today? Thanks!!!!

0 Kudos