cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardnox
Advisor

Re: Piles Of Corn

Pile and cover systems have inproved a lot over the last ten years or so- losing a few percent of $7 corn is a lot bigger deal than the $2 variety was.

What I hear quality problems are out there but nothing like the wet corn years of '92 and '09. Still, less than the best quality and a warm forecast would have me nervous if it was my shop.

Far extended forecasts don;t look exceptionally warm but they're not very accurate either, beyond a couple weeks. If ut stays warmer than normal that stuff will probably have to move quicker than they'd ideally like.

We'll just have to see.

0 Kudos
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

I can't say whether there are more piles or not, as I'm not that familiar with western Iowa harvest.  I think in eastern Iowa we have elevators filling up.  I might fly around eastern Iowa in the next day or so and see if there are piles here.  I know a neighbor is renting two of my bins that I don't need and is shipping direct now because he is out of storage.

0 Kudos
rayjenkins
Veteran Advisor

Yes, Hobby, that guy was really "special"......some things you don't miss in this business, and that will be one of them!!

We have finally reached the point where corn stocks in the WCB, especially Iowa, have been fully rebuilt going into this year's harvest.....if you look at history, the ethanol biz did not reach 95% capacity until 2011, and we were dealing with short crops in 2011 and 2012, so spent the next 3+ years rebuilding end of season corn inventories....

I spent part of Saturday driving around parts of SE and SC Iowa, and frankly am amazed at how far along corn harvest is for early November in a big crop year.......I think the strong pull of the export market, along with ethanol running at 100%, and also having strong feed demand have all been factors in absorbing this years high yielding crop.....

as fast as this year's harvest has gone, it makes me wonder what it will be like in a year with much smaller crops!!

be careful out there folks....

Ray J

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

And thankfully the export business is there...

I can remember years when the price hit loan rate and nothing happened until the feeders finally worked through most of it...many months later..  and corn didn't move 25 cents for a long time...

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

another possible reason for ground piles 

CuQ1IvjXYAEbf-a.jpg

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

SW  -  what  say  your  seed  advisor  about  this  issue  ?      

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Please order more

0 Kudos