cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

Piles Of Corn

I spent Thursday and Friday flying over most of western Iowa, landing at various little airports and not getting any higher than about 1000 feet up.  

Most elevators have big corn piles.

The report of more or less 3/4 done looked about right.  What was left had a combine going in every field.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Re: Piles Of Corn

Compared to other years, Jim

Is that average, more than normal, or less?

There has been more bin construction in Iwoa the last few years.... are those end user construction........leading to the question 

Knowing usda has labeled the last two crops as record setting, so this one is only slightly larger than those, if actually bigger, if the piles are more prevelant at public elevators, is this a sign of ownership retention rather than a localized big crop?

Is the quality that bad?

poor Wooten.  Did they have to build a tunnel so the folks could drive to shop??

Down here we always have piles,  This year is no more than usual,  except for a couple of places that made 4 instead of the usual 3...

Much of our piled grain is already owned by end users.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

I keep getting texts that many locations here in the worst basis area in Iowa are full of beans. Now they are coming in about full of corn.

Quite a few beans left to harvest in this area. 

Yields of both are Generally way above average, corn more than beans but both up.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Well here - This year - I ONLY have one corn pile sw - Not like past years where I have had up to 3 piles !  - I guess the replacement of the clean elevator slip clutch did the job - Smiley Happy

Haven't been around to much - but MTG is still loading the flat storage = 1.5 million - but are filling it up pretty fast -  They do have a unit coming in to load out - that should do the trick as acres are getting smaller every day around here .  

I do have to wonder just how much this crop will effect the ethanol plants around here - as for the east side of the state - there seems to be a lot more V-toxins in it = they can't export them or feed to hogs - most are going to chickens - to the South east - Maybe a fire sell of over loaded chicken feed ? And wonder if this will effect export corn headed to New Orleans ?

btw - first killing frost here this morning - dang it !  Been a one and a million fall here - hate to see it go .

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Not here yet...... we will finish milo harvest without a frost...... the rarest of events...  Usually requires the cold kill to get milo in.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Only thing keeping harvest going at it's normal slow pace is I was able to rent an additional 30' and 36' pair of bins from a neighbor. Always nice to be first in line to dump. 

With the local full of corn, looks like a good thing, I'd of been at this a long time with out them. 

With our basis mess and full.elevators, and full bins around here looks like a 18 wheeler may have to join the expense column.

Have been trying to avoid that.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

That might bring Ray out of retirement........ Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Really suppose I could get Ray J to run one? 

The bin site I got is from one of what he called "a special customer"

Kind of be like old home week...Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
gurly3801539
Advisor

I had one pile this year where I usually don't have any.  Problem was there was a bin in the middle of it.  OOPSSmiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

I did forget about one pile on wheels - Do's that count ????? Norm was catching me - And for only God knows - He stopped AND I was looking out the right hand side of the cab AND by the time I seen what was going on I was dumping on top of the cab - I looked at Norm and he was looking at me -- WITH a big grin and his arms out - Like he was saying - Don't know why he did it - The sun was in his eye's and he thought I was done dumping , I guess , lol

0 Kudos