cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Pizza marketing

There`s a little pizza joint, I`ve been going to for over 35 years.  They really do make the best pizza in the world and I will always be a customer ... if the price gets too high, I`ll just treat myself less often.   But when I discovered the heavenly place a loaded za was $11, it went up to $14,40  then $15 then $16.50, lately it`s been $18.00 (I`m talking a large pizza btw I get everything large unless extra-large or jumbo is available  🙂  )   

So, with yesterday`s weather and everything I decided to get one to go, a note on the door if you use a credit card it`ll be 3.25% higher, sorry for inconvenience.   And that is more than fine, since they`re a local business I always pay cash anyway, the new lady at the counter said "$20" so that`s over a 10% increase in the last couple weeks.   I`m not at all complaining, their ingredients are more expensive and employees deserve a bump in wages to cover their living expenses.  Don`t tell them this, but i`d pay $25 for their delicious pizza.  

But some folks are going to say $20 is a little too much and most people do use credit cards.  I`ll pay the higher prices as long as the taste and quality is the same as when it was $11  35 years ago.   With this inflation thing, i don`t think prices will go back down to $18 or $16.50.   It`ll be $20 or higher or the doors will close.  

David Kruse did a commentary similar on beef prices pricing itself out of the market compared to pork & chicken.  Is beef becoming the "new lobster"? 

20 Replies
rsbs
Veteran Advisor

Re: Pizza marketing

BA, if beef is the new lobster, I am going to buy some heifers and fix up a few buildings to make them into "lobster ponds."

Don't try and price me out of my beef! 

0 Kudos
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Up to now, it’s been cheaper and much easier to just buy our freezer beef. I haven’t raised any for a couple of years now. Things have changed and I may find myself filling up the barn with feeders. 

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey Red, there`s the best steakhouse in Iowa up the road and when my Wife and I started going there 30 yrs ago they had the "Cowgirl 12 oz ribeye" $12  and "Cowboy 16oz ribeye"  $15  pure Heaven fresh prime ribeye.  Then it went to $18 and I would say "Corn is $1.80, I don`t know if I should get the $18 ribeye"  the Wife would say "Com`on how often do we come here?  You can just have water instead of ordering soda"  (She says "soda" instead of pop) .    Well, we go there to celebrate finishing planting and to celebrate finishing harvest and seems to me that 16oz ribeye is now $40.   Denny uses top quality meat and everything, but I can go to Fareway and get a 1 pound ribeye for $16 and grill it pretty good myself.  Everyone complains $14, $16 ribeyes in the meat counter, but going to the restaurant to cook them for you kind of adds up.   Food really is a bargain in America, but you have to prepare it at home. As long as corn stays +$5.90 we can live like this, but boy if we ever go back to $3, Mac & Cheese might be a luxury.   🙂

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Totally right.......... It is all "relative"..

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

I  noticed  that  the  golden arches  outfit  just '' clawed  back ''  a  sum  of  $105,000,000.oo  "" $everance Pay ''' from the fired  steve eastersomethingorother  - which  is  a bit  different than  the  previous  mentioned  examples  -  -  - Price  gouging  at  the  meat  counter,  or  parts  counter , has  become  routine,   normal  procedure ---

With record travel over thanksgiving,  didn't create fuel shortages gasoline lines,  magically all drivers made their deliveries - - -

Although a menu app at the golden arches , excluding visible pricing , is  quite interesting business practice - with fries from Idaho labeling, while '' beef patties '' does a pompous recuse  - - -   

0 Kudos
rsbs
Veteran Advisor

I spent most of my early life eating cheaply...cheap pizza, pot pies, frozen meals, etc.

My married years I have ate like a king....my lovely wife could be a chef somewhere and always gets compliments on her meals. Its like I eat out at a high class restaurant every night, and she is frugal, gets the deals, and doesnt break the budget on groceries.

I am truly blessed!

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

People seem like they have the money and are willing to spend it, though.  Applebees & Outback have 45 minute waits for a table and you walk past full tables of laughing people with each $70 worth of food and drinks in front of them.   HyVee has (8)  1/4lb patties in a $12 pack, people snap those packages of $6/lb  hamburger up as soon as they get put in the counter.   And funny thing Applebees, Outback and HyVee have "help wanted signs up $15-$18/hr to start and $500 sign on bonus, as do Tyson, Swift, Hormel.    So, I don`t know.  People pay $5,000 over new price for a 2 year old car with 20,000 miles on it, we`re living in interesting times.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

You`re lucky, Red. My Wife thinks I only need one meal a day   🙂  and half the time it`s me grilling that.   But that ain`t good for you, a man really needs the breakfast at 6 am, Dinner at 12 and supper at 8pm.  Because unless I "cheat" for dinner (donuts & candy), I`m ready to pass out by suppertime.

0 Kudos
tree fmr
Advisor

Where is this pizza joint and what is the name?  I harvest most of my own meat, deer, pheasant, turkey, which makes it affordable. But I’m always up for a good pizza!

0 Kudos