cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

Planting Corn into Rye Cover on 5/4/13

Just wanted to give everyone  view of what it looked like last week. Very likely 45% of the corn went in the ground in our area from 5/4 to 5/9'. In this photo, I am planting the corn into rye cover 20 acre strip that is part of the 100 acre joint research plot we do with Purdue and Becks. Plot is long-term comparing covers (none, annual rye, perrenial rye, oats+radishes), n rates (0 thru 220), yield, soil health accumulated changes (worm counts, OM, etc) over time. Obviously no dust. No one said conditions were good, they were just good enough to do limited damage. With 33% in the ground, the planter still has no dust on it, similar to 2011.

20130504_164245_resized.jpg

6 Replies
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

Re: Planting Corn into Rye Cover on 5/4/13

interesting photo, time!

i've only ever seen planting in soil or dust, not into grass....is the idea the rye helps maintain integrity of soil???

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Nice picture Time -- So are you carrying 28 on the tanks on your tractor ?   

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Is that rye or one of the rye grasses you mentioned.
0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

We call it "Cereal Rye". It is the rye that grows very well in cool temps and can be planted in our area up through early November yet is very easy to kill in the spring. We have about 2,000 acres that looks like the photo, but only 110 that is going to corn. In the Corn-Rye over winter-Beans rotation there is a proven yield benefit in the beans (2 bu) (which explains why we have 2000 acres of it in corn stalks). Or anecdotally, all but one (out of 11) of our whole field averages that have been over 70 in beans have followed cereal rye. Also, zero bean stand reductions planting into the stuff which continues to amaze me.

In this corn plot 2 years ago, we lost about 4k of pop in this heavy residue setting. Taking it to yield however showed no yield loss. And surprisingly, the optimal N rate was the same in all 4 rotations, 165# act N (+ the bean credit).

The real purpose though is building the soil. We pattern tiled 130 acres this spring into Rye that looked similar to the photo. In every connection hole, you find cereal rye roots down 4 to 5 feet. Obviously, this captures a bunch or carbon and will slowly turn our white clays a dark brown (like the fencerows). The erosion benefits are simply huge for those of us living in the "2 floods per year is actually normal" part of the corn belt, especially as they accumulate over TIME :-) 

We have a great deal to learn at this point. The only thing we know for sure is that tillage is not sustainable in our area for most of the soil types. How this plays out in the future will be very interesting. There certainly in no reason society should subsidize crop insurance for soil that is being fall tilled in the eastern belt.

Oooppps.....veered off into stating the obvious which is actually supposed to be a secret....my bad.

Rodney has about a 20 page powerpoint on the website that gives all the details about costs, rates, etc.

The cost advantage of our system is huge. But that doesn't matter when corn is above $6.

0 Kudos
tree fmr
Advisor

thanks for the photo and info time! We also no till and just started with cover crops, rye and radishes. All this spring rain and near zero erosion. It is great for the soil and saves money. Have some fields that have no tillage for 20 plus years now. Basically planting into mulch and it works great.
0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

I am going to start a thread in Crop Talk on a couple of questions on notil-------- give it a look please------- and give me a few thoughts if you have the "time" .    Smiley Happy

0 Kudos