cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Planting Progress

Today, the USDA  will release its Weekly Crop Progress Report. The trade is expecting corn to  be 48% planted.

Could someone help me out here? I'd like to get a few comments from somebody on their planting progress. Could you reply to these questions, please?

How has this season gone, so far? How do you feel about your progress of corn and soybean planting? Are your fields in need of rain, too wet, or just right? Do you have some crop out of the ground, yet, and how does it look? Be sure to give me your state and where you farm. 

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Planting Progress

I`m done other than a 10 acre tile issues patch. But this year reminds me of 1987, I rented a farm and got it planted in good shape May 5th (early for the time) then it turned cold just like this "Omega Block" they`re predicting now and it took that corn 3 weeks to emerge.  It was dry and a oldtimer advised planting deep and I did a little 2 1/2" +  which didn`t help the emergence.  I rotary hoed it, don`t know if it ultimately helped or not, the advice was "fast as you can and stay on the row" probably 12, 13mph and I got off the row here and there and you could tell, the rows driven on never came up.    But it eventually was a decent stand relatively,`87 was a drought and 110 bushel yield.  

But they say Friday, Saturday nights around here 27º...Uff Daff!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

BA Deere,

Thanks a million for your reply. I am wondering if the markets will trade that frosty weather, later in the week. Up first, though, is the planting progress report.

Thanks, again,

Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

BA Deere,

If you don't mind, can you offer up what state and what part of the state do you farm? I forgot.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Done with corn. It looks good. Took two weeks coming up because of  below normal temperatures we've had this year. Most everybody is done with corn around my general area.

Planting beans now. If it doesn't rain tonight will be done with them Wednesday Thursday.. first beans are starting to come through.

some guys beans are up and already getting a green cast across the field. Everybody will be close to done this week if it doesn't rain tonight

Moisture we're good on. Planters/Drills are just starting to roll again after two week wet spell.

Western KY.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Finished with both corn and beans.  95% done around here.

Corn came up in 12 days and looks good.  A lot of corn you can row from the road.

Drilled beans need rain.  Some are in dry dirt.  Sub soil moisture good.

Efficacy of herbicides has been compromise because of dry dirt.

I always like to see gentle rain after I plant both corn and beans but that did not happen yet.

We will be flirting with frost Friday night.  Smiley Sad

Central Iowa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Mike,

Central Ohio cold and wet, hardly a seed in the ground. I have planted 0%. Calling for more rain and a low of 27 on Friday morning. We can't catch a break, 2019 was the same with a lot of prevent plant.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

@marketeye wrote:

Today, the USDA  will release its Weekly Crop Progress Report. The trade is expecting corn to  be 48% planted.

Could someone help me out here? I'd like to get a few comments from somebody on their planting progress. Could you reply to these questions, please?

How has this season gone, so far? How do you feel about your progress of corn and soybean planting? Are your fields in need of rain, too wet, or just right? Do you have some crop out of the ground, yet, and how does it look? Be sure to give me your state and where you farm. 

Thanks,

Mike

The corner of IA SoDak and MN.  Mostly in SoDak between Sioux Falls and Larchwood IA. 

Corn was done w 2 or 3 days ago... Now in beans. 

Soil conditions are on the dry side.. Could be some h20 in the next day or so. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Mike, I`m in NCIA  I`d say area is 90% done on corn 70% on beans.  I have never seen ground work up any mellower than this year, don`t know if our reduced tillage is really paying benefits or what.  There`s fields I`ve worked for 40 yrs now and very much improved since I was a kid.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Hooked up planter today. Got 100 acres of beans planted before rain started. All notill so start later than others, first time planting beans first. 
East central Iowa. Fields in great shape, the ones doing recreational tillage are the only ones complaining about it being dry. 
Had a 3 1/2 foot bull snake in the vacuum system of the planter, took awhile to figure that out!  Row 5 stopped working, now row 8, now 5 rows stopped, what the, is that a tail?  Stay positive, no mice in there! Lol