cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Planting date ???ssss

Alright guys.wiegh in on this.With your knolege of soil moisture in your area,climate  forcast maps,and projected soil temps,where would you say your planting window is going to come in on the callendar?Please wiegh in on this,state by state!(Please compare to last year.)

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Planting date ???ssss

NCIA I'm thinking early May, unless things really get unusually good. Last yr May 15, next chance after that was June 20. I'm thinking market won't be comfortable til early summer.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

south of the twin cities in Minnesota probably be after the 1st of may. last year was the 15th of may and we never finished.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I agree with BA. North Central iowa won't start planting till the first of May unless we have a dry April with warmer temps, sun and wind. Too much deep frost. If we could plan on a normal spring, planting corn the first week in May would not be a bad thing. Keeps us from doing silly things in April......MikeM
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Another observation. Seems to be a lot of untiilled cornstalk fields around. We've been to Minneapolis, Mankato and around this area. Still some corn left to harvest. Not a good way to start a corn on corn field FWIW......MikeM
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

CIA, Around April 23, a week or two ahead of last year.  Last year we had a very wet April and May which pushed a lot of bean planting into June.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

NE Wi. Got 6" wet heavy snow last night. Usually get it early April. I'm thinking we will be planting 2nd week in may. We try and be all done by June 1 with corn and beans. 10 day forecast shows seasonal temps. Hoping for a dry April.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Nort.Cent.Wi......guessing May 12 - 15.  2013 never planted anything...all PP insurance.   John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

South central Iowa

Frost is gone, normal planting time here is from 20th of April through through 20th of May

The local contractor says there is no moisture past two feet. It's Iowa still plenty of time for recharge.

Will take several slow soaker' s here in southern Iowa 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

East Central Indiana - Like Hobby - like to go from April 20th on , Last year May 2nd was the first to go in because of wet ground , This year ? for now  , everythings a go for April , Dug blown out tiles on Wedesday , moist down to 4 foot level , only an inch of water in 7 inch tile , Raining this morning here with chance of rain threw next week , So Normal of us here .

BTW good luck to all

0 Kudos