cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Planting delays

Here we go again in NW Ohio. It’s not something that the markets or the farmers need. 

0 Kudos
13 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Planting delays

Hope it dries out for you soon Roarin`.   So far 2021 doesn`t have many Goldilocks regions.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

https://www.cocorahs.org/Maps/ViewMap.aspx?state=Ia

2.54" here. Went from beans in dry soil to several acres of ponds in the fields.

I'm down between that red dot and the three orange dots bottom left of center.

41° and a stiff breeze. (Getting into center part of May and still having wind chill #s

Seems to be feast or famine last few years. Put the planter back in its corner spot yesterday but did not clean it out, looks like I'm not quite as done as I had thought.

This rain did way more good than harm here. Pastures and hay are short.

Sitting in the mud waiting for drying weather at peak planting time is frustrating at the least.

I still do not see a recipe for a record crop this year. 

0 Kudos
Wind
Advisor

.86"  two counties north of Hobby.  Very thankful, much needed.   Any snow there Tiger, looked like the red turned into gray as it went through NW Ohio.  Not late yet.   

0 Kudos
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Wind, no snow here but the temperature was hanging around 37 degrees this morning. Haven’t looked at the rain gauge since 9am, but I’m pretty sure we are north of 2” by now. 

0 Kudos
nitefarm
Advisor

Am in western Ky thought we were done with corn at the end of April, wrong left the seed corn in the drill just in case also. We have had 9-11 inches since  then, 4.5 -7 inches in one rain depending on which farm you measured. Hooked up to the 6row Friday to spot drill over about 200 acres and probably going to have to  completely replant about 100  with the bigger one. Cold and wet doesn’t go well this time of the year. I just hope that we aren’t  hurting for rain before the crop is made. Everyone be safe. Just looked at the rain gauge almost 6ths since church. 

0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

Just drove to Cleveland and back across 30 from IN, RoaringT is right, there is virtually nothing in the ground, which probably is just as well. South of Cleveland had about an inch of snow as the storm started. Anyone who powders it up now has concrete and big gullies. In terms of production, planting around May 20th is average probably, so it is in the yield average :-)  Free chocolate milk in the rivers.

Pretty much the same for most of IN, except most are over half done, errr.....at least for the first time. I can row the corn out the back window that had the 6" of snow on it a few weeks ago, looks great, easy to see this morning as the plants are all white and sparkling in the sun. :-0

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

I’d say that planting progress suggests the first ingredient in the recipe is in place.

Except when you’re in a speculative mania like the present moment the market doesn’t tend to get real worried about some region running late until late May.

BTW- just by memory, which may be somewhat dim- ‘93 wasn’t a planting progress problem- it was that even upland corn drowned from weeks of hypoxia in later spring. Just thinking about planting on an open tractor in a snowmobile suit that year and finishing on the day all the cars in the 500 crashed because it was too cold for the tires to stick.

Active jet also stuck to the south that year. It will move north sometime.

Means nothing, other than anything can happen from here. Including a big crop, which is more likely than a small one.

0 Kudos
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Hollo,   It sure means a lot for those who can't get the crops in the ground.  Or those who have planted and are now wondering if the crop will ever get out of the ground.   And especially for those who have new crops contracted and are now wondering if they will have the crops to fill the contracts.   

Of course,  the USDA will still be predicting record acres and record yields.   

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Oh believe me, I do understand. I'd take a drought over an extremely wet spring any day, as far as the toll it takes on the nerves.

But overall planting progress is pretty good, some moisture shortages have been relieved and it will warm up, someday. I'll stand by that prediction.

BTW also, doesn't matter why when you can't roll but this seems to be more one of those cold, wet cloudy things- like '96- more than much of anywhere being totally waterlogged.

0 Kudos