cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Planting progress

The corn in AR that was in the ground for the last 3-5 weeks is now out of the ground. Still can't tell how it's going to be but after all the cold wet soil it laid in so long if it is kept and makes 150+ I think next year il start the first dry day after New Year's Day. Amazing that it even came up. Some might have been planted for six weeks.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

a variety a factors could make this AR corn more vulnerable. genetics could be damaged from lack of O2 while subsurface.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I 'm sure the genetics weren't effected as they are wired into the plant . If the emergence is even and the plants are healthy yield is determined at later stages such as V5 when the number of rows are determined and later at tassle when the number of kernals /row are determined.

Senior Contributor

So. We've heard about some planted in Arkansas some in Texas and I'm sure there is some planted in the Carolinas. Would that be %7. A friend in Tennessee is at a elevation that doesn't let him get started early. Is there corn somewhere else that could make up the percentage they are talking about. This report has to be a few days old now. And I think when big corn country gets going we could add several percent a day.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

should have been more specific NDF-----the EXPRESSION of the genetics could be affected by lack of oxygen. Just like you or me or anyone who types on here has a genetic blueprint which is essentially static or remains the same.......but if we were choked off by mothers umbilical cord around the old carotid artery for 5-6 minutes during birth process, the expression of our genes would be different----less product (ive).

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

OK  yes thanks for clarifiing. As for the lack of O, because of cold temps I don't see it the O2 is supplied by the water that is absorbed .The basics of how temps effect germination is that at the right temp the cell walls of the seed coat  allow water   to enter and start the germ process. The other effect temp has is the rate of growth, the warmer it is the faster the rate. If temps are cold the elongation of the stem spike is slowed and if  for to long the plant food that is furnished almost entirely from the seed itself is used up just to keep it alive before the spike can reach the soil surface and shoot a leaf and start photosynthesis  .

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Fella's I got cold feet literally. Probed the soil this morning and it slipped into the mid 40's. Weather forecast the next couple of days has highs into 40's & lows in the 20's, so we'll probably recede back into the mid to upper 30's with our top soil temp. I've left the planter in the shed, but the tractor is still idling, so I should be ready to go at a moments notice. After this front blows through, highs well into to 70's & 80's for the duration of the long range forecast. If I were a betting man, I'd say our planters will be rolling full force by next week.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Thanks for the update Shaggy----make sure you have enough fuel to keep tractor idlingSmiley Wink

NDf - appreciate you explaining the "sprouting" process in more detail----makes sense! i do have a Biology degree- just didn't do a whole lot on the botany or argonomy side.  never too late, right!!!

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I'm from south central Nebraska, and the local seed dealer said the soil temp was 35 yesterday.  Cold and wet all this week with no corn in the ground that I have heard.  Be in by May 1st if lucky.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

My brother-in-law from Pawnee County Kansas says the general talk in his area is April 28. He said this goes for irrigated & dryland.
0 Kudos