cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Pollination time for corn

Do you think the corn market will be pushed back due to the pollination being late??   I think our corn will be pollinationing past July 10th this year. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Pollination time for corn

Three and 4 leaf corn won't pollinate yet. Smiley Surprised  Most on WI, MN, ND and much of Ia is looking at August - Some maybe the middle of August that is just two leaves here in MN and WI.

I agree - it is pollinating time - maybe corn taseling reports will help show how far behind this crop is - comparing condition reports this year with last year is useless.  I haven't seen anyone post the greenness scale (year to year) yet - I'm sure that is somewhat more interesting.

Jen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Im in ecil and the crop insurance agency sent out emails last week predicting the july 22-28 time frame for most of our corn to pollinate...this time last year all our corn was tasseled out
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Waynr it will only be a month late. The bushels will come. Right?

Hope the weather cooperates. They will be pollinating in what historically is the driest part of the summer. I guess that is good since the pollen will fly better when it isn't damp.And the silks will be nice and dry to so they can wave in the wind as they try to catch the pollen. The next chapter will be on kernel fill in the roasting days of August.
0 Kudos