cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Re: Pro Farm Tour

Just another example of why this tour has almost become comical.  They report what the USDA and the privateers want to hear.

vrbuck
Advisor

A harvest number of 80????????????

A final yield of 160??????????????

Dude why would anyone would listen to you.  I guess anyone trying to find an excuse to justify their own numbers not someone that wants to make money.

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Time, I have family in the Wabash area. If you travel from Wabash north to Auburn, the corn looks extra crispy. Its tough to say just how big the drought area is because I talked to a guy recently that said the corn around Peru could break a record, and Peru isnt far from Wabash. I guess its just hard to see a 186 yield when you drive 50 miles and see nothing but pineapple corn. The last time I was down in Indy (3 weeks ago) the corn from around Marion south to Indy looked really good though. Undermanaged? So you are saying that if the tour stopped in one of your fields Indiana would be looking at a 195 corn yield? Good thing they didnt, we would have a 2 in front of the corn price right nowSmiley Very Happy Glad to hear your having a good crop Time!

0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

Ah, Wabash, for those of us in C-In, Wabash is in NE-In.. Smiley Tongue

And, yes, if you look at the rainfall accum maps you were in the epicenter of the damage. Problem is the junk dirt south of Indy has had really good weather and looks way above average for them, so the state is likely 180 or so, not 186. Plus, Pofarmer had no checks in at under 140 in the good areas. Well, having just got the aerial pictures back, there are alot of fields in the good areas that will disappoint due to early flooding damage. Anyone doing 28% for N, or doing something ridiculous like fall N, is hurt pretty badly. It is a year that will actually reward good management.

Our calcs and checks would put our farm around 195 to 205 depending on test weight, record is 199.9, so we aren't going to blow the doors off either. I said that the day after the 4" rain in May, so not a surprise. Very possible our corn planted May 26th will exceed the early May corn because it missed the big flood. Planting date is not everything it is cracked up to be sometimes. Our june corn (had to wait for hog manure application contractor)  looks good but it just pollinated and will definately pull down the average. Trying to sell it for silage to someone. Smiley Surprised

0 Kudos
turdypointbuck
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like the crop is pretty good, just not as good as people like Vrbuck, Hedgefarmer and Farmpro have been saying. 80mil harvested acres could be become a reality, probably around 81ish will catch it.

0 Kudos
vrbuck
Advisor

no way the harvested acres are that low.  More likely the harvested acres are around 83 million since big crop years have a tendency to have a lower percentage of unharvested acres.  She is a whopper boys accept it and don't fight it.  Big crops like these are realizing markets that farmers fight all the way down to the bottom.

0 Kudos