cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Pro Farmer S Dakota & Ohio

Chip`s crew  on the west tour is reporting South Dakota corn yield at 118 off from last year`s 151 and bean pod counts down in the Jackrabbit state.  Crops north of I-90 better than south.   Brian Grete`s outfit on the east calls Ohio at 174 vs USDA`s 190 and the Buckeye state`s pod count down a little from last year.  

Maybe this`ll be one of those "I thought it looked better than that" years?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Re: Pro Farmer S Dakota & Ohio

They tell us every year that Ohio’s crops don’t matter. So…..no one should look to Ohio to bring the national averages up. 

erikjohnson61y
Senior Advisor

I'm in that SE part of South Dakota, near the Nebraska border.  Lots of corn already cut for silage, had several calls from guys looking for more silage to cut since everyone is going to be short feed for the winter. Anyone who planted corn into last years' alfalfa ended up windrowing the 4' corn and baling it. My best corn field made 208 in 2020 and 201 in 2018, but this year I think it will be 120-140. My other fields not so much - may not even break 100.  But like Ohio, I don't think the trade cares at all what goes on with South Dakota corn!

I smiled the other day when I saw several articles saying "Don't expect a price rally like last year." Soon as people say that, the opposite happens. Still over a month away before they start calculating the fall price, but as they say, big crops tend to get bigger, small crops tend to get smaller. New crop prices already above the spring guarantee prices in both corn and beans.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Indiana, ProFarmer pegs at 177 vs last yr`s 193. The Hoosier state`s pod count is 1165 vs last yr`s 1239.  On the western leg of the tour the Pro sez 158 vs last year`s 182 in Nebraska, pod count 1063 where last year had 1226 in the Husker state.   A crop of "what could`ve been ..." as Chip says, the irrigation can overcome the dryness, not the heat.   Iowa, Minnesota and Illinois are on deck!