cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor

Productive Riverbottom Land

Anyone have an idea what percent of productive river bottom land in the US is leveed? Does spring flooding hurt or buildup bottom soils in the longrun? 10% 30%? Just curious. Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Productive Riverbottom Land

Around here there are no levees. Lots of river bottom ground. Not sure why no one ever built levees. I don't farm any. Most that do rely heavily on insurance.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

The Nile delta is built up of deposited soil, and thta's how the Egyptians raised wheat for millenia.  The news reports describe lots of debris and other damage from floods on the Mo and Miss.  I don't know myself but would not bet that in the short run flood deposition woujld do any favors, and with more and more toxins in the world who knows what gets laid down?  The Corps of Engineers might have the data you're looking for but I wouldn't know where to ge to get it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Have you ever seen the boats and things that have been burried by sediment along the Missouri. Some look like they are up to 50 feet deep. Don't know if that sediment has much nutrients in it. "The Furrow" had articles on it a few years ago. The pictures were very impressive.
0 Kudos
Advisor

A levee broke around a horticultural area here. Everything went with it. Was an old levee. I guesss they break
0 Kudos