cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Q for Gio-----

Do we go long dec13 corn yet????????????? 

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Re: Q for Gio-----

I'm still short Sept. 13 corn, is it time to lift those positions?

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Shaggy, that ship "sailed" on these swollen rivers in the I states this weekend.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Thanks Hobby, I think I'll contact my broker tomorrow.  I've actually been thinking about this for a few weeks now.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Shaggy,  Don't screw up a good plan over it.  

I am a complicated turduckem.------------ For the most part, I am just messin' with our trader friend on a holiday.

I injoy "Will Rogers" style humor.--------- you know, the kind of funny stuff that is so true you better think about it before you laugh too much.  ----------- This marketing year is getting there.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Shaggy if you look real close I think you can see your ship in the distance in this video

http://www.kcci.com/news/central-iowa/flooding-becomes-major-problem-across-iowa/-/9357080/20312664/...

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Point well taken Hobby and I wish I could say I feel the pain burdened by our Iowa friends, but Kansas folk are usually on the opposite end of the extreme.  My in laws are actually driving in from Woodbury County Iowa today and will spend the night with us before heading for home tomorrow.  I'll quiz my FIL about conditions around that area as he is an old farm boy and is usually very observant.  I've tried to text the farm folks up there but evidently they aren't getting my texts or are avoiding me.  Sometimes I think they treat me like cousin Eddy on the Family Vacation movies.Smiley Very Happy

SW, thanks for the cautionary words, but I'm not sure if I'm still on the correct path with my plan.  Sometimes our marketing plans need to change as the calendar procedes through the year and conditions change.  Maybe I'm just a slow learner in this marketing game, but it seems like we are either protecting bushels or protecting $.  Maybe this is how it has always been and I'm just figuring it out.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Yes it is somewhat as it has always been---------- except ----------- The last four years have been real markets.  Without the burdon(no matter what you here) of a large surplus.  The marketing plan for my first 40 years of marketing was so depressing.  The whole plan was to try to capture 25 cents of improvement somehow.  It is an impossible task when the market moves 15 cents per year.  It tended to involve some sort of pic certificate or meeting at the usda office on the exact day or feeding livestock all year to sell them on the right day and then something at the government office.  

That was true welfare living.

Farming in the biggest drought in history is no fun--------- but marketing for the last 4 years is real "will Rogers" style fun.  It is even fun to miss opportunities and sit on contracts too cheap,  because the option to have done something better was there.  We may not sell or buy at the proper time but we had and will have the opportunity----- and that is great fun.

---------------------

The unintended joke that nearly takes me to the floor every time is the fact that they sell caskets with a 30 year warranty.------ There are folks in my family who will hire a backhoe to see if they can get a refund.

0 Kudos
Mike M2692830
Senior Contributor

Sw. Lots of truth to that. Sit on a bin of corn waiting for a 50 cent move. Today, that can happen in 2 days. More fun..lots more risk....MikeM
0 Kudos
giolucas
Veteran Advisor

SW,

just started reading ag.com and saw you posted something.  I am long july soybeans so we see what the market brings us at 7:00 p.m. today.  I do very little business with corn and try to focus on Beans.  Although a lot of people are bearish the markets I think we have alot of factors, Weather and short supply of soybeans to take us higher.  There is a long growing season and with all these delays yields most definitely have to be cut.  Crazy times with this weather.

By the way, hope you all had a great Memorial day.

0 Kudos