cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Re: Q for Gio-----

Is it maybe more fun because you can miss the highs and still make money? I haven't been doing this long enough to honestly comment on how much fun It was during the bad years. sure doesn't sound fun. Maybe easier?
0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Gio------------ thank you.

On the production side the beans are tempting for me to sell,  not because I think you are wrong, but from a pure hedging point of view nov13 is approx. 83% of cash price and, as buckfarmer just put it so well,  they are profitable in the upper $12 range.  (Compared to corn at the 71% level to cash.)  Also the rush to plant all the open acres to beans is just around the corner for some wet folks who know how to raise good beans.

Technically your right on what you say and the demand has not diminished much locally or internationally.  That big SA harvest's effect on the market is about gone and we are very short supply in the US.  And last I read the US is still the worlds largest consumer of soybeans.  AS I just said---- The worlds largest consumer of soybeans is very short handed and we are their supplier of choice.  Demand can't get much stronger than that. 

http://www.spectrumcommodities.com/education/commodity/statistics/soybeans.html

The wind finally stopped feeding that big storm in Iowa so we had a better day today.  Thanks 

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Hey gio one more thing,

Sorry us producers are sitting on the weather thing so much. ------------- It just has us rattled----------- we're not dumb,  we know that short crops bring on better prices------------ but there is nothing more frustrating than having good markets and not being able to produce sellable product.  My dad had a saying "Poor Marketing will never take you out of business, it may hurt, but when you stop producing your done!" ----------------- Haunts me.

0 Kudos
giolucas
Veteran Advisor

My neighbors in Dixon, Illinois are all farmers and I have great respect for them.  I get most of my information from them concerning what they are doing with marketing their own stuff.  They tell me all the time that it drives them crazy to hear one analyst be bearish and another analyst be bullish.  They want to stick around for the best possible price but getting that extra 50 cents is so powerful that it causes second guesses and bad decisions.  Almost like trading. Smiley Happy

I know you producers have to produce the product first. 

0 Kudos