cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

Question for Luis - SA

Luis,

how much soybean does each of Brasil and Argentina have left -- old crop -- available for export?

.......and if Arg is stockpiling beans (how much), and what will it take for them to be available for export?

thanks again for all your reporting on here,

c-x-1

0 Kudos
6 Replies
farmerguy89
Advisor

Re: Question for Luis - SA

Cx. I thought you woulda known. They sold out there big crops. What is left is gripped by tight hands. They have way too much corn though.
0 Kudos
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

yeah, i thought Brazil was sold outta beans for export, but thought Argentina was holding, like you say.........wanted Luis' opinion on what it will take for them to losen their "grip."

0 Kudos
luisvieira
Senior Contributor

Hey c-x-1,

Good to hear from you. The Brazilian stock of soybeans is projected to be just one million ton until the end of 2013, according to Brazil's National Supply Company. That is up from 444,000 tons in 2012.

In Argentina, the situation is quite unique and we will explain it better in a story that will be posted later today. Farmers from that country are keeping their beans stored in a way to protest against the Kirchner administration, putting it out of funds, but also as a way to get more money - as the local currency tends to devaluate even more. They currently have 36.5 MILLION TONS of soybeans stored and 16 million tons NOT SOLD.

0 Kudos
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

Thank you Luis.

I didn't realize Argentina was keeping that much quantity stored......they were even importing from Brasil for country use, yes?

what does "putting it out of funds" mean?

I hope Mike gives us a heads up for your story later!

thanks again,

c-x-1

0 Kudos
luisvieira
Senior Contributor

I mean by "putting it out of funds" that they would let the government without money to subsidize some sectors and to pay its huge debt. Argentina has imported soybeans in 2012 to use it for biodiesel because of a drough in the 2011-2012 season. It has imported from Bolivia and Paraguay

0 Kudos
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

i think i understand...the farmer "effectively" swaps soy for subsidy payment then their gov't controls how crop is used from that point.

0 Kudos