Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: RSCC------- Ray Jenkins?

Slim,

Did you see any problems with it.------------- 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

SW;  I was told it was  for getting approval for the ethanol plant to sell some it's products in Europe. It was a basic generic questions asking if we use care in producing our crops.  I never heard a word about it after that. Hope we are talking about the same thing.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Yes I think we are-------- The negative we saw was on the website and probably unenforceable at the worst.

Appreciate your response

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I believe some ethanol went to the EU over the past two years, but as teaspoon said, there is currently a hang-up

if you read the ADM quarterly transcript on seekingalpha.com, they make the comment that we have an ethanol business with capacity for a 150 byn gallon gas market, but we currently have about a 130-135 byn gas market.....and they said there are two solutions.....E-15 and exports.....and you know how well E-15 is being adopted.....so there will be a lot of dependence on export markets if the industry wants to run at 4.6--5.1 byn bushels of corn usage yearly going forward if/when we have bigger corn supplies.....

I believe that to meet the requirement, a certain percentage of corn suppliers had to agree to the possibility of being audited, and a few have been audited---no big deal....and there was a positive financial kicker for the farmer if they did get audited (in the form of increased corn price on a specifc contract size--think it was worth $500)

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Got most of the 31 pages of "Sustainability Requirements for the Production of Biomass" read through this morning.

ISCC------ International Sustainability & Carbon Certification

http://www.iscc-system.org/en/

It is probably not much worse that what we are living under(or ignoring) now.  The european unions version of OSHA/EPA/USDA for farmers.

Six sections -------- 

1 Carbon concern----- land--no native grass broken out, no forest ...., no peat ground used, no land of high biodiversity, no crop on high carbon stock

2 Environmentally responsible procedure followed.----- details fertilizer, irrigation and stream /river protection.--- Records, storage & disposal details required------- Farm waste management

3. Worker protection-------- training, safety, hygiene policy & records required

4. "Crop production shall not violate human rights, labor rights, or land rights............

5. Compliance with all local, regional, national laws and international treaties.

6.  Good management practices shall be implemented----------" A recording system is established for each unit of production, in an ordered and up-to-date condition for 3 years"-------- detailed land lot sizes.   must comply fully with ISCC standard and provide documentation and information to auditors.  Audit includes all subcontractors.

------------------------------

I wish we had not had to search this for ourselves------- The ethanol representative should have been knowledgable on what he was promoting and why.

Also I wonder how the coops are going to handle the detail of knowing where each bushel comes from.  Are the ones who sign going to get the audits, while those who don't get a pass?  

$500 may not cover it.

0 Kudos