cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
22 Replies
bruce MN
Advisor

Re: Railways to Halt Shipments?

Maybe should  have nationalized the railroads at one of the numerous such episodes over the past 75 years as was widely recommended by many economists and public figures.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I recall my silent generation uncle and I going fishing in the 70s and we talked about all the trucks on the road.  I said what my Dad always said "They should bring back the railroads", uncle said "When the president of the railroad started making more than the president of the United States... they cut their own throaaaats".  But railroads have made comebacks and now every farmer has at least 4 semis in addition to all the Swifts, Amazon, Target, Schneider, Holiday ect.   With the truck driver shortage, the railworkers have their company by the shorthairs.

Minnesota nurses are on strike, +$400/day isn`t enough, but these traveling nurses make over $1,000/day.   But I wonder all these (what I consider high paid jobs) aren`t cutting it these days because of inflation?   These occupations like those and teachers are used to living the high life, now even they can`t keep up....well, folks welcome to my world.  I wonder if farmers shouldn`t go on strike?   😀

0 Kudos
lsc76cat
Senior Advisor

Will be interesting to watch how the feds deal with the railroad issue in an election year.

Lots of intertwined issues and given the shakiness or our economy - who knows.

In regards to the nurse's issues - we're getting royally screwed by execs/management of hospitals, drug and insurance companies.  They can give themselves huge compensation packages and raises while short staffing hospitals and grossly overcharging for medicines while not sharing the abundance with the people that put the care in healthcare.  

k-289
Senior Advisor

BA  -   HIGH  LIFE  ?   ?  ?  I  don't  understand  ?   Career  Change  up-coming ? ? ? ? ?

The  word  '''' essential ''''  is  tossed  around  feverishly  when  elected  folks  get  painted  in  the  corner . 

When  it  works  ask  your  favorite  politician  about  their  position  on , upper  level  management-   Preferred  Stock  Options  - ?   You  might  have  several  birthday  cakes  before  you  get  a  response = = =

0 Kudos
bruce MN
Advisor

LPNs and teachers=“the high life”??

In all reality, a system that sets the bar there is probably not worth saving.

0 Kudos
erikjohnson61y
Senior Advisor

Please name one long-term successful nationalized enterprise. In any country.  (Successful meaning they still innovate, provide good customer service, and generate profits rather than require subsidies.) Usually lack of competition leads to steadily decreasing performance.

You could argue the railroads are already 90% there.  All four class 1 railroads negotiating with all 12 unions at once with government mediators????  UGH!!!

My son is an OTR driver (Pete, Reefer).  His business might go up temporarily if they strike. Diesel prices might drop a bit if 38,000 locomotives are idled for any length of time...  Maybe I'll refill my tanks if that happens.

rsbs
Senior Advisor

Erik, Brucey and his fellow clown nutz (sad holloway) tell us that you can go to any coffee shop and give one of the denizens there a farm operation and they can be a successful CEO of it, so why not nationlize the RRs and let some Deedal Dee and Deedal Dumb govt employee run it?

How hard can it be, right?

Just like Joe Biden, clowns that cannot even run their own hotdog stand, are experts at business.

Thanks for the headsup on diesel, though....was wondering why it was going down.

Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/rail-shutdown-looms-large-even-congress-steps

Lots of reading 

Since virtually all ethanal is shipped by rail once all cars at the eplant and their tanks are full they will shut down.

They get their bins full and pile(s) made they will go no bid.

Oh joy right as harvest is about to commence.

Our gasoline is +10% ethanal, are you ready for the no ethanal higher priced option to be the only option? Very easily be a $1 spike in gas prices.

Just remember a 5% swing in availability makes or breaks a market.

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Could  someone  here  name  a  business  that  ISN'T  SUBCIDIZED .   Ask  Texas  on  the  privatizing  of  the  electrical  grid , or  the  sale  of  the  Indiana  Toll  Road ,   Chicago  Cubs  ,  the  list  is  endless . 

E  W  G   reminders  from  my  urban  relatives ,  keeps  me  in  perspective . 

379  Pete  5/mpg  /  12  gal  hour   -  G  E  4400  locomotive  200  gal  hour ,  I'll  let  you  do  the  math  on  a 105 unit  of  corn  going  to  destination =  =  =

AMTRAK ,  Boston  to  D.C .  being  ESSENTIAL  personal ,  just  like  packing  plant  employees , etc.  = =       

0 Kudos