cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Rains

Today again Southern MN. Northern and NE Iowa going into N IL today....not helping corn or beans?? Theses were the dry areas that

need rain. Bigger and better time will tell

This has to be one of the wettest Aug. that I can remember in along time. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Rains

.71 last night, 5.44 for the month, normal average for Aug is 4.13 [Des Moines]  Last year our Aug. total was .18" !!   A high humidity and low wind month.   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Always good to have some august rains to finish out crop, but here in my backyard August has been one on the driest in recent memory. Will be finishing out running pivots on seed corn  next week! 

Not whining as we who have been in the business of farming long enough know when you're time is up for uncooperative weather its up!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

For fill it will help, sure won't deny that. Will it add production, soybeans setting more pods? Well it's getting to the point we should start to see soybeans turning and have seen little top growth for more pods. Corn if its been damaged to the shank or above won't increase. Let's say its stabilized the crop and now we need time to finish out. It's not going to be an early harvest. Good crop coming, some chance to ding it a little yet. Acres harvested number will be interesting to see in future reports.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Yep, been really dry here but finally hit the jackpot the last few days.  Will help beans immensely and will definitely help corn even though we have lost some luster for sure.  I won't go look for another week or so yet.  Looking at the crop a couple of weeks after pollination all of the ingredients were there for a fair amount of 250 to 275 bu corn in our fields.  So the big question is how much did we lose?  I'm gonna guess we are still at 225 to 240 but will know better when I start scouting again.  I just have no idea on beans as usual.  Pod counts look pretty good but were having trouble filling.  This rain will really help them to finish strong.  My gut feeling is the bean crop will be just average but have nothing to base this off of other than a hunch.

0 Kudos