cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Ratings keep slipping

Reality is going to rock this thing when it finally slaps complacency in the face

I will say this. Trading has been easy the last few weeks. 10-20 cent rips like clockwork.

I've added close to 40 cents to my average in the last few weeks and haven't sold a single bushel.

Got filled again last night on the open. See where shE goes
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Ratings keep slipping

Say $5.50 Midwest corn by harvest.  Unless it takes 6 to 6.50 to get the inventory.  There's no spare wheat so replacements are tough to come by. Beans....say 16.50...maybe to 17+ too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

You boys been shopping for bulls together musta found some good ones.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

It's nice to dream of the big checks, but these new hybrids seem pretty resilient. We had no rain from May 23 to July 20. 15 years ago this crop would have been fried, like 2003. But even though the beans were short and the corn was curling in the afternoon, it wasn't even firing. We got an inch on July 20, and everything exploded. Beans are twice as tall and full of blooms, corn silks are all brown and drying up.  I went from thinking about a big insurance check to thinking about the repairs I need to do to get the combine ready... Obviously we need some more to finish the crop up, but I am astonished how well they survived two months without rain in SE SD.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Be sure to check the ear fill.

My first experience with drought tolerance was in 2011 with a pioneer corn variety that was green to the ground through oppressive heat on limited  irrigation.  Close to harvest still green and the signs went up because it was close to a major highway.

They never put the combine in the field...... no grain on the cob.... it sacraficed seed production to maintain the plant.

Heat and drought are two different characters even though they party together.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I hear different stories about drought tolerant corn and posted my thoughts about it in the Crop Talk section a year or so ago.  Sometimes the drought tolerant corn is just the workhorse variety and not some special genetic makeup.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I doubt pioneer and dupont would take the chance of that much misrepresentation. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Mizzou...the forecast is sounds pretty good, very cool and average on rainfall, why would anyone buy it until the yield is proven not to be there...because other than 1/2 of IA, it probably could be pretty good....beans are different and dry and cool are not what they like in august so that jury is not even in the jury room yet... :-)

0 Kudos