cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Ray Jenkins reporting from south Texas

Revising this thread to highlight notes from Ray Jenkins (see below), who's been wintering in south Texas--where we can say that the 2011 planting season has gotten underway for corn, cotton and other crops.

Here's a story I worked up, based on a question from JR: Acreage battle begins in south Texas.

Maybe some of us should join Ray down there next season for some spring training?

John

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Markets hot news--Feb 15

I am wondering if the south has been delayed in their corn plantings. I am hearing some real concern that hay in the deep south got stunted pretty bad by the cold snap.

John you do a pretty good job. for marketeye. Keep it up.  I gotta go haul manure but don't tell no one they think I am lazy on here and just lurk around making trouble! HE HE THe lazy part might be true!

0 Kudos
Advisor

JR: There could be some areas in the South where the cold weather has slowed field work. But, I just spoke with the FSA director in the southernmost ag county in the U.S, Cameron County, Texas. Cris Perez told me that they had a cold snap a couple weeks ago, 29 hours below freezing. (Can you imagine?)  It's 80 today, and area farmers are in the field.

The freeze set back the sugarcane crop, but the early planted corn hadn't emerged.

Word there is that in northern Mexico, grain sorghum might have been affected by the cold weather.

Cameron County farmers grow mainly cotton, corn and grain sorghum. Perez expects cotton acres to double this year, mainly at the expense of the sorghum. More soybeans are coming into the area now, too, he says.

Interesting footnote: "We start harvesting earliest in the nation," Perez told me. Grain sorghum producers will get started in early May. First week in June cotton gets underway, and corn growers get in the field in the middle of July.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Are those months harvesting times? If so, what do they plant for the rest of the growing season?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Cool John thanks for the update.  Maybe thats why all those tractors from down there have such high hours, they never quit farming!

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

It's so hot down there in july and august the only thing that thrieves are the cactus and mesquit  !

0 Kudos
Contributor

Mrs. J and I are currently spending a few days in far southern RGV town of Alamo visiting friends....had a "small" marketing meeting at a local restaurant on Monday morning....and had 87 folks show up and peppered me with questions for an hour or longer....great time and it's good to hear from such a wide geography represented at a meeting like that..

Yes, it is nice and warm with temps in low 80's......ground looks quite dry and the drought monitor map says they have not had much rain since July/August hurricanes...

we visited a state park not far from the river and found out the summer hurricane rains forced massive water release from a couple of dams upriver, with resulting major flooding through the RGV.....biggest test of levee system since they were built in 1960's......and here I thought southern Iowa had a lock on super wet conditions this year..

heading back home on Thursday morning and expect to see some fieldwork activity....Feb 15 is their crop insurance date for corn planting in local area...

and yes, there is lots and lots of talk about more cotton in Texas this year....

Ray J

0 Kudos
Advisor

Thanks for that update. Good to hear about the turn-out for your marketing talk.  I see you were right in the area I wrote about yesterday. Maybe you can lead a Marketing Talk meet-up for us down there next year.

Let us know what you see for field work down there, please.

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Fieldwork seems to be off to a slower than normal start.....we drove 70 mile east today on highways 77/83 to padre island and saw only one piece of farm equipment....a large Cat Challenger pulling a set of double scrapers, likely involved with field leveling activity...

we do see the evidence of the cold weather on the sugar cane....fields which were harvested 4-8 weeks ago and were showing signs of regrowth appear to have been hit hard....lots of brown stubble that is just laying on the ground...

there is also concern of mature sugar cane splitting stalks open and then starting to rot....but have not been able to find any news stories in past 10 days so uncertain about that..

a few green fields of vegetable crops may have missed the freeze...all depends on the crop and location....

Marketeye tour to south Texas to keep off the start of the 2012 planting season???

0 Kudos
Advisor

Ray's report from south Texas

Ray: Interesting perspective, a little different one than I picked up a couple days ago from a USDA employee in Cameron County. (Full story here.) He did mention the sugar cane damage. But, I expected that you might see more wheels turning in the fields down there.

I'd say you have just kicked off the 2011 Crop Tech Tour! Thanks for the good report.

Please let us know what else you see out in the country on the way home.

-- John

0 Kudos