cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Record seed sales in SW

I heard reports today that there are all time record levels of seed being sold in the SW. 

extreme expansion in Cotton seed sales.....

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Record seed sales in SW

Interesting.  This would be mostly where, Texas?  Do you think it would displace corn acres?  What is the source of your info?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

early seed booking activity to get the maxium discount ?

was at a pioneer seed days deal........they havent learned....prices not down...and some corn seed in excess of $400 per bag !!!

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

how much is their non-traited, non-gmo seed corn??

BTW....Happy Thanksgiving El Cheapo

Ray J

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

225$ - 350$ no treatment no gmo pioneer just seen it yesterday
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

299$ - 450$ treated gmo
0 Kudos
Esteemed Advisor

Thank goodness we have Beck's to give us options. We can almost pick a price point and buy what we want. Some triples are down to $140/bag with all the discounts. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

$400/bag for corn that lies on the ground?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

sorry ray, i didn't ask about the "cheap stuff", but looks like a friend from ill found out.

i have to say, there is growing interesting of doing double crop corn here...yes, planting short season corn following wheat, on the

upland...

usually do about 60 to 90 bu corn.  they are using OP, or simular corns.  Look like some of that is $85 to $125 a bag, with nothing

special.....a fellow did it half a mile from us, and was shocked...but then again, certain fields got over 40 inchs of rain last year

(yet the ground is like concrete now).

i really don't know what they are using for a herbicide program, can't be much, same with fert....

some talk now on canola...but would have to haul it a couple hundred miles...and some problems yet.

0 Kudos
Advisor

quite a bit....and alot of it is white corn too .

bet there"s 10x more seed corn sourced in Mexico then on into the US vs the tradit stuff the midwesterners are thinkin.

Mexico is thee largest corn buyer of usa grown corn.

there"s a cattle feeding boom underway there now.

ie import the grain import extra feeder cattle as needed and feed em and process em in Mexico.

times a changin.  MO.

0 Kudos