Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
luisvieira
Senior Contributor

Region in Brazil could cut corn acres by 60%

Hi,

This is what I published this morning at agrosouth-news.com:

Private consultancies estimates in Brazil have projections for corn in production pointing to a reduction of the corn planted area from 20% to 30% of the previous surface. Paulo Bertolini, director of the Brazilian Association of Corn Growers, foresees a reduction that could reach even 50%. But some local perspectives bring even lower estimates for the coming season.

In the view of Carlos Dellavalle, an agronomist in Lagoa Vermelha, Northeast of Rio Grande do Sul, there could be a reduction of up to 60% or more of the corn surface in this season.

“Nobody is talking about corn here. All we talk is about soybeans. The inputs market is very slow. I can say that here the surface would reduce 70%,” revealed Dellavalle to AgroSouth News.

Dellavalle is a pusher of alternative winter crops and owns the company DeAgro in Lagoa Vermelha, also teaches Production Systems at the University of Passo Fundo.

So, there are more signs that the Brazilian crop will shrink.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: Region in Brazil could cut corn acres by 60%

The acres will get planted won't they?

Just not to corn, what then ? More beans, cotton, what?

You posted they figured out long distance transportation of a low value per ton crop didn't work.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

There are some signs here as well..... but we don't read signs.

0 Kudos
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Shrinkage of the Brazilian crop can't be a bad thing.  But I highly doubt it effects prices much around these parts.  

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Luis, have you interviewed any growers/farmers?

0 Kudos
luisvieira
Senior Contributor

Yes, the likely replacement is soybeans. The farmers that I talked to are angry about other crops.

0 Kudos
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

What do you mean, angry about other crops?  Crops other than soybeans?  Crops other than soybeans and corn?  And why are they angry, prices?  Markets? Input costs?

0 Kudos
luisvieira
Senior Contributor

JimMeade,

Given the current price of corn, the price paid for export does not cover costs in several cases because of the logistics involved getting it to the port. In the case of Rio Grande do Sul, this is not the majority, but still the price of corn is considered good, while soybeans are cheaper, easier to grow and pay better.

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Brazil - Cutting  corn  acres  and  imposing  tariffs  on  US  ethanol  - most interesting --- 

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Usda won't let it happen.
0 Kudos