cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

Re: Remember???

Not sure if you are thinking of RSW who owns land in North Central Iowa, and used to be on here frequently --- very prideful in his comments, but I saw him yesterday from across the street from my daughter and son-in-law's home in Apple Valley, MN (suburb of southern Minneapolis) and he is about 95 lbs. Cancer has been very tough on him. RSW still can get outside to smoke, however. My daughter, who visits him when he comes outside, is amazed he is still living......sad story of a young (early 50's) guy who seemed to have the world by the tail....

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

For a commodity like corn that you can store for a few months, I don't understand why anyone would take such a huge hit in the cash delivery market unless you have a client that needs product in the non-delivery months. And in those cases you are arb-ing against what your client pays so its not like your losing money as compared to the basis spread. Are the transport costs extremely high if you sell and make delivery on a futures contract ? Why would the basis blow out so much over a few months to delivery ?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Hedging a position is not a one off enterprise the same way you don't just put your seeds in the ground and come back in three months. Recall I wrote that when choosing a hedging adviser, you must look at the performance history of the adviser, and ascertain if they made their money with one flash in the pan or consistently over a long time period. You want examples of the last year's advisories, when to get in and when to get out. If the adviser has few signals and just collects the fee, puts on a trade for you and goes to sleep, then that's not the kind of hedging adviser you want.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the info.  Yes, you have the right man.  It's a reminder that we can't take anything with us when we die.  Cancer is tough- Had a grandmother 94, a sister 52 and a nephew 29 years old die of cancer.

I wish RSW peace.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Does he really own all that land?
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Owns quite a lot, married into the first part of it, 

0 Kudos