cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Reminder -----

Average corn price recieved in Iowa, published by Iowa State U.

1980-1989..........................$2.38  per bushel

1990-1999......................... $2.37 per bushel

2000-2009..........................$2.64 per bushel

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Reminder -----

I did not remember the averages. Thanks

What I remember is all the $1.75 to 2.05 corn I hauled off when I was sending kids to sckool and making land pmts etc. 500 bu load of corn = less than $1000 dollars most of the time. There were times I wanted to quit.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Me too Hobby,

When I look at the overall chart which starts in 1925 there is only one other time when the price doubled.  In the 1970's we went from the sub $1.00 - 1.25 level was  to the $2.40 range in 1972-3 and stayed there.  (ten year average prior to 1973 was $1.12  and after 1973 it was $ 2.38.  

I still marvel at how few livestock are around Iowa farmsteads compared to the 1970's picture in my head,  this kind of points out that it was not so much an act of effeciency and pride ------ It was survival.

The big corporate buildings have taken over. ------- Times change.

Hobby does this say that the 80's fallout was more about debt and inflation than prices?  I remember dry land ground in our area going from $100-200 per acre to the lofty unheard of price of $ 500-600 per acre in the mid 70's   Grain prices have not supported land prices since.---- and still don't.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

The fallout was in many aspects of agriculture.

We as an industry lost a whole generation of farmers due to false hopes and beliefs. Many of those falsehoods were propagated in the trade magizines.

We were just entering a technology boom in livestock facilities, plant breeding, and

row crop equipment that ushered in a production spike.

The worlds population has about doubled since 1980. (caught up with production ag)

We now are entering into a period of probably more normal weather swings and resource constraints. I am sure there will be production spikes from time to time but not consistantly. We are on the threshhold of few farmers owning much of their own land.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I sure hope not Hobby. Nothing against landlords, but rented ground just isn't as much fun as raising a crop from 100+ year old family soil.
0 Kudos