Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elcheapo
Senior Advisor

Reply to "soybeans down 41, August rains"

August rains ?

My wx forecast is almost 100 degrees each day
This week....with little to no chance of rain.

I guess I need to copyright a new phrase

"When it's hot it yeilds alot"

Copyright @2016. El Cheapo
17 Replies
bikinkawboy
Veteran Contributor

Re: Reply to "soybeans down 41, August rains"

Here in north central Missouri areas have had 5-9" today.  Even with 100F, moisture in the soil won't be a problem, but the moisture in the air will make life a real bear.  I better stock up on gatorade and ice cubes.

0 Kudos

This doesn't appear to be the forecast but in '99 we were above field capacity on 8/1 and scant rain from there until leaves started to turn led to disappointing yields, particularly later varieties. That was discovered in the Oct report, had a sharp brief rally, but fundamentals were never tight back then, just tighter.

Soil moisture index never went to the negative side and corn never suffered. But beans like some August rains even with decent soil moisture. I'll stand by my long held rule of thumb that if you're mowing the lawn once a week in the second half of August it is going to be a good bean crop.

And I suspect that the total saturation and effect on knocking back rhizobia populations probably was a factor as well.

0 Kudos
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

FWIW.................................we have not had any rain in August in NW Ohio.

Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

3.55 here at home

4.45 @ north farm two miles north, another ten miles up river 5.25 " was a common number

that water isn't here yet AND the river is bank full now.

More in forecast tonight.

Edit: we are usually only 10 days away from a drought, but I believe we could tough it out 12 days right now, I've got some friends and farms in nw Kansas that could soak up two inches and I'd love for them to get the next two that the weatherman has scheduled for here...

0 Kudos
hwr247
Senior Contributor

someone posted 5-9" inches of rain how can that be good? isnt that too much too quick? no drown out or washed out potholes??
0 Kudos
hwr247
Senior Contributor

with your great crops are u gonna be ok with $2 corn and $6 beans??
0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

No 

The truth 

This crop is being trimed by 50% at the sales window......... that is all that counts

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Today I will sell my wheat.

I am offered $ 2.97 and will not be able to collect the $0.13 offered by usda for price subsidy....  It now counts against the small payment limitation ---- we must punish those who produce.

The same day the 2017 wheat contract posted at the same elevator is $3.78

That is about all the "kick in the face" I will need today...

Thanks to those who don't care...........  I hope you find hunger in your future....

The basis market is unexplainable...

0 Kudos
hwr247
Senior Contributor

i agree with sw3635 that the basis their pfofit margin diguised as a vehicle to controll supply

0 Kudos