cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: Report day and nobody is noticing.....

Time - all good points.  Some of us get the most quiet when things are looking great, especially if that's in comparison to the big outlook.  Some of us also get very quiet when things really suck close to home, but apparently not a large geographic area.  Still, even a 5% reduction in final crop production forecast numbers has a huge impact, whether it's from reduced yields, prevented planting acres, less harvested acres, or quality problems. 

Local Area (within 100 mile radius) -- Haven't travelled very far lately, yet have seen some great looking corn, planted before the rains hit.  Some had early weed problems due to delayed spraying.  All had excess moisture problems.  Smaller portion of corn, maybe 15%, got planted all the way up thru mid-June, or not planted at all.  Essentially no soybeans planted before June, and close to half planted end of June, first of July, again with some, maybe 15%, not planted at all.

0 Kudos
Advisor

The drawing out of this probably wasn't taken lightly.. Make or break zone

http://www.profarmer.com/pro-farmer-services/more/seminars-events/about-crop-tour
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I see no way that IA averages 185-188.  170's maybe yes.  I know that the southern part and Missouri River valley only account for a small percentage of the whole but the rest of the state would have to have off the chart yields to offset their losses.  I think it will be a very good crop in Iowa but not a record.   For me I had the best corn crop ever last year.  This year should be good but not a record. I am lucky, I have all hill ground, guys on the Mo River bottom will have terrible crops.  Lots of corn that will never put an ear on, not whole fields that way but large percentages.

0 Kudos