cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Response for hobby

Mornin Ray!  Been real busy, got a few moments to respond to your interesting article below.  Might also respond to several others at the same time.  Understand this is just a discussion like we had down at the fair. No skin off my teeth if you agree or not Just two guys chattin and chewin the fat.....

First off The article is written by the chinese. Same group who is building cities with no people in them?????????? HHHHHMMMMMM might lack a little credibility. 

Secondly remeber China can cancel the orders just as fast as they make em.

Thirdly remeber that China is a world buyer........ You will find out very soon (just like us t i ddy tuggers) The world price will set your local price.  And that is gonna suck.  The one reason that it hasn;t already happened to you guys with the corn caps is the traders on the CBOT. They still look at corn as a way to trade worthless dollars for an inflation saving commodity.  Once that no longer happens you will be at world prices. So Take 30 bucks a ton off the price of corn and see how that works out.

I know what you all are saying........" Yea but we have a drought and USDA is lieing like a 5 year old with his hand in the cookie jar and choclate on his face" 

Hate to break it to ya...."DON"T MATTER"  THe size of the crop isn't the issue it is the value of the dollar.  And as to "well people gotta eat"  Really?  When the Mexican Government got all upset with us cancelling the North American Hi-way and not allowing Mexican trucks to drive up here willie nillie They cancelled Cheese imports.  They are our largest consumer of American made cheese. They just stopped the trucks at the border and suddenly we had Cheese we didn't know what to do with.

Did the Mexicans just have that many fewer mouths to feed?  Did they suddenly decide cheese was unhealthy as well as other dairy products and switch to soy?

Hell NO! The Government just used food as a weapon in a trade war.

You really think China won't do the same thing?

OH Yea and don't ask us dairyman to come and bail ya out of that type of trade war. We got thrown under the bus by commodity groups over that one. Cause in this world it's every commodity for itself.

On to E.

Never said it was the source of my problems. In fact I never said I had any problems.  My wife is great, My kids are awesome and I got great friends. Everything else is trivial. 

But I sure do like stirring the pot with the whole E thing.

It's kinda like scarring a girl with a frog you know the response your gonna get but it sure is fun to see it.

And BTW some of you should take a nutrition class I know a guy in NWKS who has read the spartan 3 manual he is probably qualified to lead it! LOL

And for all you nimrods out there who ain't figured it out Corn is cheaper than DDG's right now. SO why buy a fake when the real thing is cheaper.  ANd don't start on the protien bit until you have studied the protien efficiency of a ruminant converting different sources of protien.

Also you and MT should get together and decide whose got the right outcome for the future corn supplies. He Cries Peak Corn like a rooster at sunrise and you say we are gonna flood the market just like us dairyman. Which is it?

Oh and by the way for about 15 year from 90-2005 if you took away our imported milk products you would find that we were actually a milk deficet nation. We actually produced less than we consumed... Market didn;t care casue we had an abundant supply.  Same will happen to youo croppers.

And Finally I am sure there are smarter dairyman out there I just haven't met one yet! But there are several luckier than me!

So those are just some observations from the other side of the grain bin. Have a good one. Gonna take the son to a trapping show over at the Hancock county fairgrounds and then off to work on stuff the rest of the day. Hope it cools off I am tired of sweating!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Mike M2692830
Senior Contributor

Re: Response for hobby

Jr. Does your son want to trap coyotes? We have plenty around us lately with the addition of some new hog buildings and free food. We have them in our yard at night yippin. One night a few weeks ago we had a whole family of pups. Sounded like a school playground.....MikeM
0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

HEY Someday I'll bring him up I'll let him set traps and you and I can sit and chat! See Life is GOOD!

0 Kudos
dairyfarmmn
Senior Contributor

Morn in' JR!!! Good post!!! Not much to add. You mean to tell me that DDG's are the greatest feed ever? And that they just didn't come to the market when the ethanol boom started???? lol

I posted the other day that DDG's where once $80/ton and no one fed them. Even when SBM was $160. Then someone said that DDG's should be "x" price cause of the price of corn something or other bla bla bla..... They fail to realize DDG's have always been half price of SBM and always will be. Most here simply do not understand how poor quality of protein DDG's are, but what you expect when king E keeps telling them how great they are!!!

You have fun teaching your son to trap. I'll be sure to bring my own food to your house when I visit though......
0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Morning JR: I think you hit the same points I did in several of my posts. Nothing new in your tirade.

We are only one crop away from the Ninties price to cost structure. I am sure I mentioned that.

DDG's are a great product in the right place. Case in point my corn crop failed miserably in NW Ks

and is being baled as I type this. Weeds came in it late and are 2/3 of the tonnage being already delievered

to a very large feedlot for $100/ ton. Guess what? DDG's and that ground up crap make for the good main dish

in those meals we had at Cattleman's Quarters at the Iowa State fair. Yes they also add corn to get to the finish line too.

The last four years real motto should have been

"peak price"

or maybe

"peak profit"????

You are trying to make a villian out of me. I am not one bit sorry I was just in the right position at the right time. Kind of nice to be lucky once.

BTW we are on the same side of that wood post fence. Smiley Wink

Now the yellow boots that is a different story...At least they weren't pink like somebody else's car was...

0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Nope not trying to make a villan outa ya at all. 

0 Kudos
BTS4-210
Contributor

the plot thickens

http://agfax.com/2013/09/06/texas-economist-reminds-cotton-farmers-of-the-china-risk/

what about china wanting to dump their 40million bale cotton surplus on the market.  thus depressing cotton futures down to the .50cent range cotton gins, won't even plant cotton at  that level.   Irrigated cotton land typicaly yeilds 200bu corn  fairly easily.  

0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Is your corn covered by crop insurance and does baling it affect your insurance check?

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Generally an insurance adjuster will look at your crop before it gets destroyed to do an adjustment.  I'm sure with the way Hobby's crop looked it was an easy 0 for the adjuster.

0 Kudos